SketchUp on Mac is Creating Additional Swatches and Painting Solid Color

Hey Guys,

A coworker of mine is trying to retexture a wood display. Her computer has been having issues recently so we can’t really figure out if it’s a graphics issue, tech issue, or a SketchUp issue.

The problem occurs when she creates a new texture, and tries to paint the surface. Instead of creating a new wood texture, it creates a solid color swatch in the Materials window and then paints that solid color. It’s created about 5 or 6 of these solid swatches.

I’ve never seen this happen before on either Mac or Windows. Any of you guys have ideas as to why it’s happening? She’s running a 2013 Mac Pro and those have graphics recalls on them so that could be the issue. She is also running without two of her RAM cards because we’re pretty sure one of them has failed so our IT guy has been messing with it the last couple days.

Thanks,

T.

Any chance of sharing the SKP file so we can take a look? If not publicly, you could share it privately.

does she use Color>New texture ? or Duplicate?
With duplicate this happens when you apply the (duplicate) texture, directly after you have edited it. Select some other color first and it won’t happen.
The texture is in the ‘in Model’ collection, though… Purge frequently.
Perhaps @Barry knows what is going on…

She selects the Texture, and then uses the drop down menu at the bottom and selects “New Texture”. It creates a “Material_Name copy” but when she goes to paint it creates a a solid color swatch in addition to the new texture she just created and then paints with the solid color.

I’m trying to save the file but it’s about 50 Mb for some reason so I’m having to work around the forum size constraint

Here’s a wetransfer link that will expire after a while.

https://wetransfer.com/downloads/bf50dbf27040d3ccfa91a55e30e830fd20180419182442/4c75fa

Which material is appearing as a solid color? Are there any extensions that might be affecting them?

What happens if she uses File>Import to import the material as a texture and then applies it to the a face?

By the way, I notice that the wooden panel is strangely painted. The faces are painted with one texture (and they override the others), the inner group is painted with another and the outer group is painted with a third color.

There doesn’t seem to be any point to the double grouping, either.

Dave. That makes more sense. I didn’t really look through her file other than to delete the client info out of it. I didn’t really pay attention to the painting scheme when I sent it. I’ll forward this on to her to see if she can edit her file to try and fix it.

Will you have her try importing the texture using File>Import? I prefer to do it that way so I can see the texture as I’m bringing it in. I make a rectangle that is sized to match the length of the wood grain material (I always know that dimension when I am creating wood grain textures) and then apply the texture to the rectangle to fit.

that should only happen with ‘Duplicate’, not with ‘New Texture’…like I said, first select another swatch and then return to the edited duplicated texture.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.