SketchUp messes with my geometry!

Yep, just happened to me twice in about a half an hour just the other day. I’ve been seeing this for years.

I also used to have this awful problem and I think (from the very vague memory I have) it may have been related to my 3dConnexion SpaceNavigator.
Are u using one of those ?

I have not been using one … yet. I just bought one, but not installed yet.

To the best of my knowledge the 3d connexion has not been associated with this issue.
There was a 3d connexion driver at one time that caused sketchup to crash if you tried to orbit with the move tool over a vertex.
And there was a run away memory error with mac that was problematic.

1 Like

Yeah… memory issues in the past, but 3D mouse drivers should not be touching geometry… as far as I know this was due to renderers.

i turned off the autosave for few days. Didn’t the problem since then.

Little Update here: Apparently, the bug has been fixed on SU2021

Here’s a Flextools.cc blog about it:

I get this problem all the time for years even with auto save off. Just never bothered reporting it. Made a habit of saving manually every 2minute. saved me loads of lost work

Oh, really? That’s interesting. Anyone else notice this?

I’ve never experienced this but I’ve only been using SketchUp since 2003.

1 Like

Me too, but I’ve seen this bug a lot.

Can someone clarify: Is autosave separate and distinct from the backup file SketchUp offers you when you experience a crash, or does turning off autosave make that feature go away?

I was told by a programmer it was a memory leak in sketchup what ever that means

Turn autosave off. I Agree with this solution. This is what I did and the problem has gone away.

A memory leak is when a program loses track of what it has already gotten from the OS and so it keeps requesting more. The symptom is easy to observe in the Task Manager (or Activity Monitor on Mac): the memory for the app keeps increasing without limit as it runs. If left unchecked, the app eventually gobbles up all the memory on the computer, which causes everything (itself included) to slow down very dramatically and eventually causes the whole OS to crash. It generally doesn’t cause the offending app itself to crash. So, I have no idea why your programmer friend thinks this is the cause of a SketchUp crash.