Sketchup Make on a new computer

Problem downloading a free web model to my computer. Have sketchup free 2017 on my computer. When I try to download a model file, sketchup asks for version. If I enter 2017, the 2017 version opens and I can save the file. But the 2017 version is going away when I get a new computer. How to save a 2021 free web version model on my computer before I change it out for a new computer.

hello. I edited the title as you typed your email in.

Your problem is quite unclear,
Why do you say the 2017 free version will go away when you’ll get a new computer ? You’ll still have the possibility to install it on your new computer.
Where do you download your model files, from 3d warehouse or sketchup for web ?

It doesn’t matter. SketchUp 2021 will open SketchUp 2017 files.

Please don’t double post. This is the second thread you started on the topic.

OK. Let me modify that. I want to download a model created in free web sketchup. When I try to do that, it asks for a version. I have 2017 on my computer but I want to save it as a 2021 file. However, as soon as I try to download it with the 2021 option, I get a message saying I don’t have 2021 on my computer. If I remove my 2017 application on my computer, will it down a 2021 version as simply a file?

You can try that. My question still stands, though. Why does it matter what version the downloaded file is? If you install SketchUp 2021 you will be able to open a SketchUp 2017 file with it. If you were to download a 2021 file, though, you will not be able to open it in SketchUp 2017.

1 Like

I don’t want to download it as a 2017 file but rather a 2021 file. When I have the model in the web version and I click the Download option, Sketchup asks for the version I want the download to be in. The sketchup Help Center document entitled “Saving, Opening, and Downloading Models” says " select the “Download” command. You’ll be prompted to choose an SKP version to download. If you plan to re-upload your model to Sketchup for the Web, you can use any version." Note: “ANY VERSION”. If I indicate version 2017, sketchup opens 2017 on my computer, shows me the model and I have to save it to my computer as a 2017 file. If I don’t select the 2017 option but rather the 2021 version, Sketchup responds that I can’t download the file because I don’t have the 2021version on my computer.

Install 2021 on your computer and then you can download it as a 2021 file. You still haven’t said what you expect to get that you don’t get with the 2017 file.

I thought that the 2017 version was no longer available and you have clarified that for me. Thanks. A 2021 download would require a purchase and I do not want to do that at this point. Thanks for your clarifications and patience.

For your hobby work that’ll work fine

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.