SketchUp / Layout upgrades

With each upgrade, I’ve normally installed the new version and then copied certain custom folders from the previous version into the new one.

For example, on macOS I would typically copy items across from the old:

Application Support > SketchUp 2024 > LayOut > Scrapbooks

to the new folder, together with some of my own custom Layout templates, and in the Sketchup folder, my plugins and materials.

Something has clearly gone wrong during the two most recent upgrades. I carried out my usual migration process, but afterwards my Materials palette stopped working correctly.

When I press B to activate the Paint Bucket tool, the “Colors" window opens as expected, but some folders are duplicated, and none of the textures show - only colours. (See screenshot).

I’ve asked previously for help to resolve this, without success, so I’m hoping someone might recognise what’s happened.

For example: My Colors palette now shows "Asphalt & Concrete" AND “Asphalt and Concrete”

  • The “Asphalt & Concrete” collection (with an ampersand) works correctly and displays textured materials.
  • The “Asphalt and Concrete” collection also appears (spelled out with “and”) only shows coloured squares and no texture previews.

Does this suggest I’ve copied or overwritten a folder that I shouldn’t have? More importantly, how can I restore the texture previews?

Also, and a separate issue: material thumbnail appearance

Since the last two SketchUp upgrades, material samples have been displayed as small isometric/rhomboid thumbnails rather than the old flat square thumbnails.

For example:

  • “Asphalt & Concrete” appears as the newer rhomboid-style material preview.
  • “Asphalt and Concrete” appears as the older flat square preview.

Is there any way to switch back to the flat square thumbnail style, or perhaps choose between the two display modes?

Personally, I find the newer 3D/rhomboid material previews much harder to read and compare than the older flat square versions.

Thanks for any suggestions.