Sketchup 2023 material window

Since updating to 2023 the materials I uploaded to the materials window are gone. It seems as though I’m going to have to upload them all again?

You can copy the user materials subfolders to 2023:

Browse to:
"Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2022/SketchUp/Materials"

… copy the user folders you’ve created to …
"Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2023/SketchUp/Materials"

Hi Dan, thank you - there is only a plugin folder

Each version of SketchUp installs as a separate application. As such materials and other files don’t come over autoamatically. They aren’t really gone unless you deleted them. Where were they saved previously?

They have been in my material window - I’ve added them over the course of the year so locating all under my downloads is going to be very time consuming.

How did you go about saving the materials for future use?

They are saved in my material window.

So it looks like they are in the native Materials folder instead of your own custome collection. Go into application and look for the Materials folder. You can copy the files over to the same location in SU2023.

Personally I would put my custom materials into the Materials folder in User/Library/ApplicationSupport/SketchUp/… instead of adding them to the OEM materials folders.

1 Like

Thank you, I think I may take that suggestion so I don’t have to do this again.

If you collect your textures into the In Model materials, you can select Duplicate from the List dropdown and create a custom collection in the default location as shown in Preferences>Files>Materials. Then in the future you can either copy the folders to the new version.

1 Like

FYI

In the Release Notes for SU2017, section Standardized Product Content Locations
(emboldened emphasis by me)

We have standardized where product content, stuff like collections of components, materials and styles are stored on the file system.

On Windows, we moved the default content that comes with SketchUp (Components, Materials and Styles) out of the Program Files directory and placed them in the ProgramData directory. And on both Windows and Mac, we created Components, Materials, Styles and Templates folders for your user related content. By default, these folders are in the following locations:

Windows: C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2017\SketchUp
Mac: Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2017/SketchUp/

Note that if you store your content in these folders, it will show up in the Components, Materials and Styles browsers without you having to do anything and your templates will show up on the Templates pane as well. Additionally, users no longer require special privileges in order to modify the contents of these folders.

We have made it easier for you to access your content by adding new functionality to the Preferences > Files pane on Windows and we added this Preferences pane on the Mac. Simply click the Open in Explorer/Finder buttons to access your content vs. having to remember the folder locations listed above.

In addition, see the online User Guide …

Templates and Components are different as their file formats have changed over many releases. But recently SketchUp has been made to be able to open any version (ignoring what it does not know about.)

Material and Style files are zip archives with XML and image files inside. They’ve not changed much if ever. So this means you can likely open the Preferences > Files pane and set the Materials path to a version agnostic folder location within your user path.
For example, you could create a folder at:
Users/<username>/Library/Application Support/SketchUp/MyContent/Materials
… and set your SketchUp to use this version agnostic folder for user material collections.
I suggest that you have only folders in this Materials folder, ie each being a “collection”.

The next time you upgrade, this preference setting should be brought forward by the SketchUp 2024 installer, and etc.

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.