Sketchup Layout Measurements box won't type

I’m using Sketchup Layout to draw a 2D drawing. I’m new to SU but pretty savvy on drawing software. I’m wanting to draw an object and type in the dimensions in the Measurements box at the bottom. The box is either greyed out when I draw an object, or it won’t let me type. I’ve a number of posts on here and have tried all sorts. I am on a Mac. All I’d like to do is draw a line or object and type in the measurement. Anyone have a fix please?

Are you clicking in the measurments box before typing? If so, don’t.

Are you selecting an existing rectangle and trying to change its dimensions? If so, it doesn’t work that way.

What exactly are you typing when you try to type in the dimensions of the rectangle?

Start the rectangle at one corner and drag the cursor diagonally in the general direction of the rectangle. Let go of the mouse and type the x and y dimensions separated by a comma or semicolon. Press Enter. Before typing the dimension, pay attention to the separator between the dimensions displayed when you drag out the rectangle.

rect
FWIW, it’s exactly the same as drawing a rectangle in SketchUp.

When I draw a line, I can aim the line the direction I want it to go and type a length value and then enter with no issues.

You can also scale any entity, such as, lines, circles, and rectangles to desired lengths by selecting one side stretching it, then type in the value you want such as 2"… this works in the x and y… you can even scale a rectangle in one move by picking the corner of the scale function, and typing 1", this will make any rectangle a 1" square, or you can type 1",2" for a 1" wide by 2" tall rectangle. Note without units, the scale will be a multiplier of what you are starting with.

Lastly you can even draw at scale in Layout. I use this for 2D details.
Draw some line, make a group, set the scale, and within the group you can now draw at full scale with the detail scaled down to fit your sheet.

Thank you that’s worked!