SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

I would disagree, so much smaller stuff gets pushed from the roadmap in this situation with everybody on each team rushing for the annual build deadlines. I know people have issues with Adobe but one of the great things is continuous updates over the year covering minor niggles to critical infrastructure.

I have high hopes that now more will get done now on a continuous cycle, especially my obscure non arch-viz feature requests :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Hey Tyson,

Non-profits can still purchase SketchUp Pro classic licenses through Creation Engine, however for access to Sefaira (and our whole suite of tools) you will need to purchase a SketchUp Studio for Students subscription. The student subscription includes all of the tools available in the commercial Studio package, detailed here.

As you know there are some significant, intentional differences in how Rhino and Blender work, but I have to be honest that I’ve never tried those applications with a magic mouse. I’ll try that out and send you a message with my thoughts.

1 Like

Yeah, I just got the following email from Creation Engine

Will there ever be a SketchUp Studio non-profit discount for organizations and individuals that do community work?

So your biggest announcement for 2019 is… a way to pay more money. Nice. And for that price I’m still stuck with a glorified web app. And you guys are proud of this?

6 Likes

Question: My M&S liscence is due in Sept19. After, Will I be able to renew my M&S or I’ll have to switch to Subscription method?

And if the answer is “yes”, for how many years you guys plan to sustain this double liscencing method?

1 Like

Gee, I’m super bummed about this. I just purchased Pro after attending the conference in Palm Springs, it was a significant expense for me and I made the decision to do so strongly based on the fact that I would have cutting edge software for the foreseeable future. Now, it seems I’ll be left behind without the support I noticed SU had been providing the years past.

I agree with some other users about Adobe CC model, I simply don’t have the budget to pay monthly/annually given the frequency in which I use it. I could understand some of your power users/large companies being able to absorb the cost if it’s something they work in every day, but for us “little guys” it really puts this program out of reach and disappointed that future improvements will likely not be available to us. Anyone who plans to use SU for more than a year will likely give pause as to whether or not $299 for a year is all that attainable.

At the conference I definitely noticed some larger companies who rely heavily, daily on your program to do their job. But there are others of us who use it differently; I just hope we’re not forgotten. I won’t be subscribing to the annual plan, because I simply can’t afford to. Which is really disappointing for me…

1 Like

How does this work in terms of Parity between the two products?

And for lack of other words I’ll call…

• SketchUp Classic: The Static Development Cycle

• SketchUp Pro Subscription: The Dynamic Development Cycle

And assume that Right Now the two products are sitting at the Same Level on the Starting Line, at Parity.

As SketchUp Pro Subscription starts to benefit form the momentum of being on the Dynamic Development Cycle… at some point it will begin to outpace the static development path which SketchUp Classic is on.

At what point in the future do the products reach Parity Again?

• Does it happen with the next major release cycle… When SketchUp Classic 2020 appears, and it basically inherits ALL of the years accumulated features of the SU Pro Subscription.

• Or, Maybe the point of Parity is reached at an earlier date… on a biannual phase,… say 6 months from now?

• Or does SketchUp Pro Subscription pull out ahead, by ‘x’ number of months, in which at some point SketchUp Classic starts tracking behind—keeping a permanent offset between the two products—as they move on into the future?

Some variation of the above must exist… and that’s going to end up being the improvements which the M&S fees go to support through out the year.

Just curious about which approach is going to be taken here.

1 Like

Hey Liam, if the subscription is any thing like Adobe (which I think it is) as soon as you stop paying it, you can no longer use it.

So I’m not sure where you are coming up with this “every three year” thing.

Please someone correct me if I’m mistaken.

1 Like

Is this some kind of joke? By the name must exist a “Team” that develops sketchup but by the way they were all on vacation for a whole year because to name a ridiculous implementation of dashed lines as a new version is a tremendous deregister with the thousands of users of this platform. I’m so ashamed for you “Sketchup Team” …

5 Likes

Judging by SketchUp’s YouTube channel, the SketchUp Blog, and the SketchUp Forums, the SketchUp Team hasn’t been on vacation all year. I’m sure a lot of work, behind the curtains, went into implementing SketchUp 2019’s useful new features. Implementing a long list of features every year would create a larger learning curve for users, but SketchUp’s “ease of use” is one of its best attractions. SketchUp is already such a refined program that it doesn’t need many new features.

3 Likes

I agree, they spent a year drawing a new input screen, making sneaky videos and plotting how to charge more for the same thing. Ahhh of course, I forgot the revolutionary dashed lines.

3 Likes

There’s actually a ton of work that goes into minimalist design, such as reducing features to minimal forms while retaining functionality. Minimal features doesn’t mean it took minimal work to produce.

3 Likes

This is exactly what I would have expected. I’m simply confused.

I respectfully disagree.

1 Like

+1 for disappointment.

10 years using SketchUp for personal and professional work and it’s coming to an end. Losing a free desktop version stopped me and my friends from using it casually (it’s just not the same with web, especially the lag). Then last year there were barely any new features but my company still shelled out the cash to purchase pro because they were impressed with my work. My career was built around brining 3D modeling to consulting engineering with SketchUp but now it has been eclipsed by Revit. This truly looks like the beginning of the end of SketchUp in a professional setting. I get that web is great for elementary schools and stuff, but really, dashed lines?? How many years are going to pass by until the calls of the professional for faster large modeling, faster layout rendering and components in layout features be answered. Will they ever or will we all bleed off to other programs?

It looks to me like I need to learn a new program to maintain 3D modeling expertise in a professional world. When I talk to other engineers and architects they see Revit as the standard and SketchUp as a toy. I was able to prove otherwise for a while but they’re not wrong anymore. We’ve been shot in the back. It seems like I’d better start learning another modeling program because SketchUp sure won’t have me covered for much longer if 2019 is any indication of their gameplan…

12 Likes

We can only hope future releases take the communities wish list into consideration

4 Likes
  1. Trimble connect - don’t use/want.
  2. Tape Measure Tool - don’t use (do other pros use this? - everyone i know just uses the Line tool and reads off the measurement)
  3. Sefira - don’t use/want
  4. Campus - don’t use/want
  5. Dashed Line - looks useful (will have to try it) >>>>> However I thought Layout was supposed to be the placed to make changes to layer styles, line types etc? SketchUp = pure modelling & drafting. Layout = annotation, styles and export. Now I’m confused.

What I am pleased about are the numerous small fixes:
Especially:

• Fixed an issue where Offset could give unexpected results when offsetting shapes with rounded corners.
  • Fixed an issue where the picking order was incorrect for a rectangle on top of an image, resulting in unexpected behavior when using the Text tool on the rectangle.
  • Fixed an issue where deleting lines could cause invalid text entities that corrupted the camera view / made the model unusable.
  • Fixed an issue where lines could be clipped/disappear when zooming in with a section cut.

There are lots of them and will really make my workflow run more smoothly and reliably.

But are these fixes worth the price increase?
Nah.
I really was hoping for Layout to be improved and more extensions made ‘official’ parts of sketchup.

18 Likes

Okay, so you’ve updated SketchUp and decided to switch the user license to the universally reviled Adobe Creative Suite subscription model. You are announcing this decision in the help forum where your paying users have been paying for their license as an initial $700 fee plus $120 annual maintenance. Most of your users do not pay anything.

The question everyone wants to know is, is there any plan to discontinue the classic license paradigm? Will future annual maintenance under the classic model remove the perpetual license I currently own?

If I were a new user, the new $300 annual subscription would indeed be easier to pay for than the classic model and I can see how a bunch of well compensated engineers might think whole thing is brilliant idea but as an end user, this blog post was distressing. As a current user owning a perpetual license, it appeared to me at first that you had just increased the annual maintenance 250%.

I’m looking forward to the new Studio product that you are rolling out with this. I haven’t seen any marketing materials, but I would guess, as in the Adobe model, that it would offer access to extensions like the LEED tools, site topography, specs and construction detail libraries. Maybe you can roll in a service bureau into it and offer full service drafting and modeling to the well heeled who can afford it.

additional question – the new online modeler tool – when is this going to be available and will there be an a la carte option? I haven’t seen any marketing brochures on this yet.

I think you have totally misunderstood your user base. This feels like you are moving into some sort of work fantasy social network 3D weirdness for high schoolers with rich parents.

3 Likes

One whole year of R&D and they figured out dashed lines? How many people work for this company? Two? I’m going to keep using 2018 until I have a good reason to move forward. Sounds like the one year of R&D was mostly focused on P&L. This is a pathetic release.

7 Likes