SketchUp in 2019: where great ideas get to work

Hi Liam! We hear you on SketchUp Pro features, but we do believe the full package of upgrades and tools now available to our users are pretty significant. With a SketchUp Pro subscription you have access to SketchUp Shop, AR Viewing on your iOS and Android mobile devices, unlimited projects and storage in Trimble Connect, and our full suite of VR apps!

We will be releasing new features for all of these products (including SketchUp Pro) throughout the year and you’ll be entitled to each new update automatically as a subscription holder.

Hi there! We do have a loyalty program in place to treat our existing users right, considering the delayed launch. Please do contact our sales team to see what we can do for you, as you got caught up in our unfortunate timing. Contact Sales | SketchUp Help Thanks for understanding, and we hope you’ll love this year’s improvements!

What about those of us on Classic License?

Will we get any feature upgrades that those on Subscription will get during the year at the next release - 2020 if indeed you plan to continue to release yearly…?

Yep, I am looking forward to upgrading this year at some point, I am just holding out for some specific illustration/graphic related features to come online.
Happy its a good price point however for when I jump onboard!

I’m currently licensed for SU Pro 2018 and have a current maintenance agreement. I’ve been patiently waiting for my email containing my 2019 Classic license (it’s still not here).

Update 15 hours later: My 2019 Classic licence email arrived overnight! Looking forward to the weekend when I’ll have time to install/activate — Play!!

About an hour ago, it occurred to me to compare the long(er) term costs of staying on my SketchUp Classic maintenance model PLUS getting a new SketchUp Shop subscription vs transitioning now to the SketchUp Pro subscription. And while the thought occurred to me, I’ve spent the intervening time catching up on this forum, so I hadn’t had a chance to do the actual comparison.

And now? With the prospect of a loyalty program, I’m not going to do that cost comparison. Instead, I’ll stay with my Classic maintenance model, then do the math when the loyalty program is announced. Assuming my new license information comes through in the next couple of days!

1 Like

If you’re current on M&S, your NEW 2019 license should be sent out (very) soon. It takes us a couple of days to send all of the emails or else we get flagged as spam.

1 Like

If you have a Classic SketchUp license that has a current M&S plan when we release SketchUp 2020, you should be upgraded to that version and have all the fancy bells, whistles, and doodads that come with that version.

Hi Steven,

You can always run 2019 in trial mode while you wait for your upgrade info. Otherwise, you can get your information from our site. All that and more in this little vid we just whipped up!

1 Like

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought you maintained a license information page that we can access with our Trimble login.

If I’m right (and I haven’t looked yet), why not put the 2019 Classic license information there immediately? We could still wait for the email, but for people chomping at the bit, it provides a way to not have to wait for your metered release of the emails (which I don’t consider a fault - it’s important to NOT be identified mistakenly as a spammer!)

I’m now rather sanguine about this release.

I appreciate all the bug fixes (and thanks for the earlier help in my problem with Layout 2019 crashing).

For me, 2018 was a significant update in that it improved how I presented in Layout greatly. With the delay in the release, like others, I was highly expectant for significant software features.

Maybe the improved tape measure tool will be helpful. I’m not sure how dashed lines in SU will work for me though.

Still confused as to what the Maintenance stands for in the M&S model I’ve been paying. When I first purchased, I was under the impression that I would be getting updates throughout the year for my $120. I haven’t been noticing any updates, and now I’m reading that that’s a part of the new Subscription model. Do we still get periodic bug fixes in Classic M&S? Or do we wait till the new year for those?

Looks like I was typing my reply immediately below your reply when you posted the video. So there IS a way to get our 2019 license without waiting for the email. Yay!

1 Like

So glad we could help, and sorry for the wait!

Sorry, Steven, it was snowing and I got in the office late… otherwise, I would have posted that BEFORE you asked the question :wink:

3 Likes

When you are in the current period of your Maintenance & Support (within a year of your M&S purchase), you have access to any major or minor update to SketchUp Pro. So if you are current with M&S now, you should receive a license update for SU Pro 2019 in the next few days.

Subscriptions are similar, except that they also provide access to other products in the SketchUp platform and renew automatically.

You do not need an Authorisstion code for the next 30 days, so I don’t understand this ‘waiting for my code’
Use the trial period to see if it suits you.

Thanks for response. Just to be clear, that includes feature updates as well, correct? Not only security/bug fixes?

We have details in our Help Center article. We do have Maintenance Releases to fix issues through the year (ie. released 2018 M1 last fall for Mac Mojave compatibility) and hope that this new model will allow us to be more agile and include more releases between major versions.

I’m actually not in a hurry for it as I don’t have an immediate need for the new features I’ve seen, nor do any of the bug fixes apply to projects I have in progress, so I was (and still am) content to simply wait for my email.

The point of my first reply in this thread was that I WAS thinking of partially transitioning to the subscription model by keeping my Classic via annual maintenance and adding a SketchUp Shop subscription, and was about to calculate the long term costs of doing just that vs going complete subscription with Pro. The announcement (official or not) of a forthcoming loyalty program caused me to decide to wait for the announcement of the loyalty program before doing that particular bit of math.

Update: My email with 2019 license arrived about 10 hours after the original post. Looking forward to the weekend to install, activate, and play!

1 Like

One major version per year would already be great…

1 Like