SketchUp Freezes Momentarily

Im using SketchUp Make 2017 and all of a sudden, when creating a component, SketchUp will freeze for a few seconds and then return to normal only for a second and then continues to freeze and unfreeze. Any ideas how to fix this. I deleted SketchUp and then re-installed it. Same problem.

Jeff

When SketchUp autosaves there can be some lag. I prefer to disable autosave but if you do so you MUST remember to manually save your work every few minute. Otherwise you risk losing it if the computer crashes or there’s a power blackout etc.

When a model reaches a certain size (or probably more specifically reaches a certain number of component definitions) component creation becomes very slow. I don’t know why but it could be related to finding a unique name for the new component.

Modeling technique, in terms of how much complex geometry you’re creating, can have a considerable impact upon model performance and the time it takes for certain operations to complete.

See this compendium of performance modeling tips…
How do I make SketchUp run faster? — SketchUp Sage Site

This is not an autosave issue. The freezing happens the second I click on a component. Also there are only two rectangular components in the model, so this is a very simple model at this point. This just started happening this week, otherwise the program has been fine - never had this issue before.

The freezing happens the second I click on a component. Also there are only two rectangular components in the model, so this is a very simple model at this point. This just started happening this week, otherwise the program has been fine - never had this issue before.

Is it related to component creation or component selection. It could be the dreaded unbendingly-slow-selection issue on some Win 10 machines.

Your profile indicates Intel HD Graphics 520

Confirm the graphics driver is up to date.
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88355/Intel-HD-Graphics-520

Yes, the graphics driver is up to date.

Regarding the Intel Graphics HD 520…

“Due to its lack of dedicated graphics memory or eDRAM cache, the HD 520 has to access the main memory”

Perhaps this could cause a speed hit.

Screenshot - 12_22_2017 , 5_39_11 PM

This is interesting. https://communities.intel.com/thread/111101
“After some troubleshooting, we have found that the program crashes on the initialization of the OpenGL context (API function wglCreateContext(…)). Some research on the Intel HD 520 chipset/drivers shows that there is extensive OpenGL compability problems with this card and many popular games, CAD programs, screensavers, etc.”

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.