Sketchup Free Export To Articad

This could very well just be a me problem but iv been tinkering with exporting models to render in Articad, however iv noticed the render quality isn’t quite right compared to other models created in other versions/packages.

is this something to do with the version of sketchup I’m using or am I just doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance!

It’s hard to tell where the problem lies without seeing what you’re talking about. Images of what you are seeing and what you are comparing yours to would help. Uploading the SketchUp model would also be useful.

apologies iv just made a quick rough square bath for an example compared to something iv already build in a different modelling package.

so this is the quick model which I add a white gloss texture on before downloading the .skp file

for some reason it also is imported at a weird angle into articad to which iv not figured out why, it appears to be hit and miss sometimes.

aside from it being completely off axis the textures (at least to me) don’t seem to be coming through, compared to my other models, where is the gloss?

this bath model not from sketchup appears correctly comparatively.

am I missing a process or is this simple a limitation with the free version?

Thanks!

Upload the SKP file so we can see what you’ve got. It kind of looks like you’ve moved the axes in SketchUp before modeling but it’s impossible to tell from screen shots.

test3.skp (285.3 KB)

Looks like the axes are aligned correctly in the SKP file. What file type are you exporting to import into Articad? I’d be looking at how Articad handles imports or the file type. What file types will Articad import. I had a brief look at their website but couldn’t see anything that showed this info.

What do you get if you draw a simple rectangular prism (no angled sides) in SU and import that? Does it still end up turned?

Out of curiosity, what is the end use for this?

so I’m at least doing that right, I’m importing the .skp file into Articad through the sketchup button, it specifically asks for it so thought would be strange that it didn’t like it. I’m not 100% sure either due to the same reason but I’ll have a look see what I can dig up.

I’m aiming to create 3d rendered bathrooms but before I commit to the pro version I wanted to check if free version would suffice for the time being until I was more used to it, compared to say 3ds max and cad.

So Articad natively imports SKP files? Are there any import options to set? What are the file types can you import?

Maybe the bathroom scene is tilted and the imported tub isn’t?

FWIW, if you are doing this for more than just a hobby, you would need to be using SketchUp Pro or SketchUp Shop. The free version isn’t licensed for commercial work. I’d recommend using SketchUp Pro and since the user interface is so different and there are many other options available with SU Pro, I would be concentrating on that. There’s a 30-day trial so you can check it out.

I’m curious that you speak of the rendering quality and the gloss. SketchUp generally textures don’t have rendering information other than what would be the diffuse texture in the rendering, no reflections. You have to add that information in the rendering program. Where are these other models coming from that they have texture information that the Articad renderer understands?

you are correct dave which is cause for my confusion but no not any import options for the skp that i could find.

the scenes in articad work of a 2D plan, pretty sure you cant tilt unless specified when placing the objects but i shall double check just incase im chaning more than its orientation (from birds eye view). i do plan on getting SU Pro should i be able to get the results i needs from the free version as i do need some of the features pro provides but for the sake of cost i wanted to insure the export/importing wasn’t going to be a problem among other things but everything else checks out.

@pbacot - oh, i thought it had considering it has specific function set up within the articad software, obviously im not expecting anything high to sky quality but from the videos iv seen them import it in which no issues, thought they were from the 3d warehouse if that makes a difference. regarding the other models they come from autocad im not sure what else is supported but being as sketchup seems intergrated i was hoping it would be a smoothish transition.

You made the model of the tub in SketchUp. How did you apply the “gloss” finish, as you say? There’s no setting for gloss in SketchUp. There is transparency, and some renderers are set up to assume transparent objects from SketchUp are glass and shiny, but there’s no reflection in SketchUp. Probably the gloss, and bump etc. can be added in Articad

from some of the tutorial videos for using sketchup with articad it appeared that the gloss/material render information was within the sketchup program and transferred over to articad. part of my issue was to achieve this as its lead me to believe it was possible, however as you have stated and I have tested it isn’t. unlike the software I was using before I have to do the texture tweeking from within articad which isn’t a really a massive deal breaker for me was just hoping I could do what the videos appeared to demonstrate.

my only real issue at the moment is the inconsistency to which the models are misaligned when exporting them into articad, not sure if this is a sketchup or articad issue.

on a slightly off-topic not, is it possible to animate in sketchup? if so to what degree?

thanks!

Look at the plugin Fredo Animator. You can also create fly-through animations in SketchUp without a plugin. What software were you using before to bring models in to ArtiCad? I want to explore ArtiCad myself.

There are some applications that assign shininess based on the name of the material in SketchUp. Maybe that’s what’s going on. It could be a question for ArtiCad. I’ve used SketchUp for many years, and I’ve never seen a way to assign shininess to a texture, without use of a rendering program.

1 Like

Fredo has an animator plugin? :open_mouth: iv started using fredo corner and scale which are ace. I was using 3ds max and autocad though mainly 3ds max as I could import the .3ds files straight into the articad model tree, iv noticed I can export my models in sketchup as .3ds files too but iv not tested it yet, I have only been importing them with the dedicated sketchup button but this appears to not put them in the model tree instead placing them into a sketchup folder somewhere.

hmm some more things to think about then, such features would certainly help with workflow. if you do look at articad you wont regret it I assure you, its proved to be quite a handy bit of software.

Thanks!

Trying to get an appointment for a “demonstration” of AritCad. They don’t make it easy. I hope I am worthy.

yeah, my one grip with them unfortunately. once you have an account with them they have a load of tutorial videos and manuals depending on your preference. iv been using it for sometime now and most of what I know has been through trial and error.

tip: the keys associated with the shortcuts require you to hit enter afterwards, unless you remap them.

A little late to the party but might have some ideas maybe. Looking at the bathtub example you posted it appears you have “back faces” showing. Guessing the model is not a solid from the looks of it. Looked at the ARTICAD site unfortunately no real info on how the program works. Wondering if your model gets skewed when you import it because it’s not a solid - back faces showing. ARTICAD maybe can’t read the file correctly ?

never to late tuna, always welcome any insight at any time. I could but wrong but I’ve been running with this idea that its some sort of bug on Articad side possible as iv made the following and it imports perfectly.

this was my 3rd attempt at modelling this bath and the first iteration imported wonky while the second and this one imported fine but my approach has been pretty much the same. iv tried importing the same model a dozen time to see if my theory holds up but unfortunately no dice as of yet.

my next step is to start a new model and either try import the model at different stages and/or document each step taken that for what odd reason might effect Articads attitude towards them, but I will also try your suggestion.

Thanks!