SketchUp for iPad – Gallery

How thick are the sheets? I thought H0 required somewhat sturdier stuff :slight_smile:

4mm, but it is Z scale

1 Like

What laser cutter its that?

I’m afraid I don’t know. It’s at a local makerspace

My 12-year-old (Henry) helped design a garage wall mural using SketchUp for iPad. (Climbing holds will be added next to reach the pull-up bar.)

He loved using the app and I found it much easier to let him run with it unsupervised compared to the desktop version. I’m excited for the possibilities of kids using SketchUp for Schools on iPads!

IMG_6611 2

9 Likes

:heart_eyes: love this! Looking forward to seeing the finished project!

1 Like

Hooper House by Marcel Breuer.

3 Likes

Here’s a real world use case. Not the best for just SketchUp for iPad alone, but rather as a part of the suite of apps that work together.

As often happens with a carpenter friend of mine when he calls me for a new project, he’s already started ripping things apart without a plan, and laughs, “We need a plan.” (as in “Yesterday would be good”)

I’m hoping to give my talk on Match Photo at 3D Basecamp this year, which is heavily focused on drawing existing conditions with a hybrid of hard measurements and Match Photo as a workflow. Usually I draw the hard measured data on site with a laptop (and usually in PowerCADD first), but this time I traveled light with just the iPad. I was able to start right away measuring and drawing directly in SketchUp for iPad on site.

Equipment on site: Leica Disto, iPad 6G, Panasonic Lumix LX100

The file was handed off to desktop SketchUp Pro for completion including things not on iPad (yet?)

• Match Photo
  • Design using Dynamic Components for cabinets

The file was handed back to iPad for presentation with the owner on site, but not much redesign could be done due to the reliance on Dynamic Component cabinets.

Presentation view on the iPad:

Redesign:

Material Replacer plugin was an important tool here.

Finished documents went through Layout.

HF05-LO Plan 1080p

I get the feeling Dynamic Components are going to be replaced by Live Components going forward on the desktop, so I wouldn’t expect effort to develop iPad support for them to be made?

What about Match Photo? Is there any chance support for that might happen on iPad. It could be cool to do on the spot on location. I’m sure there are higher priorities for more basic functions as it is now.

8 Likes

Parabolic roofs. All made in SU4iPad.

5 Likes

Tagged off external wall so that interior can be seen

Importing and importing furniture from 3d warehouse (Starting to freeze (lag)) on Ipad.

Hopefully performance gets better in the future with Ipad

5 Likes

As someone who knows more about frames than he needs to now, that’s pretty impressive!

You’ve captured the trademark bow of the sides and have not neglected the bump on the front.

Well, regarding my concern about performance (lag/freeze) on Ipad above, I have to take them back after Joseph from SketchUp Team reply to my email with some guideline.

After I turned off ‘Profile’ which was set to ‘2’ (from the beginning I guess),
there is absolutely no lag and no freeze so far even with all the imported items from 3d warehouse and with all the tags on.

I think novice to Sketchup like me, have to know this.

Thanks!!

Apologies for being so slow on the uptake. How did you make the doubly curved surfaces? In SU4 iPad with native tools?

1 Like

In a side elevation created the curved roof profile as a closed curve, then extruded that. In plan view I created a rectangle , rotated at 45 degrees, extruded that to intersect with the curved roof in step 1.
Then it was a matter of “intersect faces” and deleting the unwanted parts.
The completed surface is then copied in the Blue axis to get the “thickness”. The sides are planar surfaces, the line work for those closes nicely into surfaces.

If we had Boolean tools on iPad…this could be much easier. Hear that Dev Team?

1 Like

:ear:Yep :ear:

1 Like

Playing with the freehand tool, practicing texture faces.

Gif is terrible, but :person_shrugging:

5 Likes

I took about 30 minutes to mock up a VERY crude model of a firetruck that will eventually be used in a 2D animated preschool kids tv show. I wanted to be able to see the truck quickly from multiple angles, so there is no need for this model to be solid or perfect beyond me getting better at working effectively. (i.e, there are holes in this that I honestly don’t know how to fix, but don’t have to so it’s okay)

Edit:
Added the front bumper, headlights, water cannon and seat.

5 Likes