SketchUp fails to install

trying to install on a brand new computer with all current updates installed.

hello,

Where is the file located ? did you try re-downloading it from Download All | SketchUp ?

Did you right-click on it and run as administrator ?

Here’s the correct way to install.
Log in as your normal Windows user account [NOT the separate ‘administrator’ account - but being a user with admin powers IS alright…]
Find the installer’s exe file - probably in your Downloads folder.
You can always try downloading a fresh exe if you suspect it’s been corrupted.
Select the exe file’s icon, right-click > context-menu > “Run as administrator”…
Let the install use its preferred default folder locations etc.
When prompted choose “Install” [if it’s already installed, but it is flaky or wrongly set up, then choose “Repair”]
When it’s finished test SketchUp…

Do not choose to ‘Run’ the exe as it is downloading [save it to Downloads before continuing], and do not ‘Run’ it by double-clicking its downloaded icon, nor use the equivalent ‘Run’ in its context-menu - this will cause unpredictable permissions issues later on…
Also do not reset the installed SketchUp.exe file properties to ‘always run as admin’ - it will cause other subtle weirdness…
These alternative ways look similar, BUT they are NOT the same as doing it in the only correct way - as outlined above…

Thanks for responding.
I have installed SketchUp many times over the years and know to follow your cited instructions. In this case this is not working and I can’t find any information on how to fix it.

It’s a brand new machine. I just finished installing the operating system, all current windows updates, all current Dell updates, bios updates, driver updates and have downloaded the current installation package.

I have reinstalled c++ and .NET packages, removed the packages and allowed SketchUp to install them, and after it does I get the same error message.

Mahalo,

Carey

You may want try to open the SU setup file with a ZIP archiver application, rip off the main SU setup file “SketchUp2018-x64.msi” to a local directory as e.g. the Windows desktop and launch the MSI from there by “right-clicking > Run as Admin” .

If you don’t have a ZIP archiver or don’t wanna download anything you can also rename the setup file from e.g. “SketchUpPro-##.exe” to “SketchUpPro-##.exe.zip” and open with the Windows File Explorer (read only). Don’t run the MSI from there but copy to a local directory before (see above).

No. I doesn’t even start to install. Anywhere.

Mahalo,

Hello, it may be a stupid question, but have you checked what version of windows you had ? 32 or 64 bits. You might have downloaded the wrong version for your OS

Yes. I have a 64 bit os and am trying to install 16,17,18,viewer, free. Not one SketchUp product will install. I just installed adobe, norton, 3dconnexion, office, photoshop.

Mahalo

why not try the MSI thing I have explained above?

anyhow.

I’m trying. I guess I don’t quite follow the steps.

Mahalo

You might then want to follow these steps as well http://www.thewindowsclub.com/this-installation-package-could-not-be-opened

Hi, @konacarey . In the future would you mind not adding your signature to your posts? Our user guidelines actually prohibit adding signatures, plus, it basically publishes your email and phone number to any number of nefarious, web-crawling spammer out in the web to find!

Sorry. I was replying through email instead of logging in.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.