Sketchup does not start after win 10 update

update your graphics card driver to the recent version 417.35 (12.12.2018) if not already done.

1 Like

Yes this is usually the solution when Windows does an update… somehow it breaks the driver… usually Intel. Updating that will likely fix the issue.

hey, did the update, did not help

update didn´t help any more suggestions?

did you have installed any plugins resp. extensions before the issue has arised?

Did you update your graphics card by going to the company website?

See this post:

hey neil, thank you for your post, i updated it to the newest version from the company page, that didn´t help

Have you disabled your plugin folder to see if it opens without extensions.

Have you tried ‘I think it is’ Shift+SU to open a refreshed version, not the last version.

Have you checked that it isn’t opening off screen.

Getting the same problem, sketchup is not opening off screen, it opens for half a second in task manager with a windows error report aside. Both of them disappeared within 2 seconds

A shot in the dark, try disabling anti aliasing in the graphics settings.

I didn’t have it turned on

More of a general comment on Windows 10 issues recently - it seems Win 10 has some unresolved graphics issues - breaking drivers etc.

I have tried an old Windows technique of disabling most visual effects (a work station type setting)
Control panel>system>advanced system settings>performance settings>visual effects>adjust for best performance. I then just turn thumbnails back on.

This may rule out a few complexities and/or give a slight speed boost.

I don’t think the answer you mentioned above is relevant to what our problem is, the issue we have is SketchUp iteslf is not starting at all, even with driver, c++ redist and sketchup reinstalls and removals, SketchUp is not launching

any special configuration as a multi monitor setup or running in a virtualized surrounding or on a docked notebook w/ an external display connected or using a 3Dconnexion device or an overzealous security suite/firewall blocking?

Yes - it is just generally related to your issue (possible GPU driver issue).

I often perform similar operations just to rule out obvious issues when I can’t identify a problem. Taking any step sometimes leads to discovering something else.

single display only, I’m on a desktop. I dont even have a firewall running

try if the OpenGL-wise less demanding SU Make version 2016 runs.

yes 2016 works, but i’m on a 980ti, it should can handle higher demand stuff. And I hope I can run later version of sketchup

1 Like

I see you are on a desktop. I am running '18 on a GTX 970. The config you have should work. Do you have a CPU with onboard graphics, if so switch to see what happens. It’s possible your graphics card is failing.

Do either of you have unusual characters in your user name?