Windows 10 PC just updated, now SketchUp won't start - any ideas?

My Windows 10 PC just updated, now SketchUp won’t start. LayOut opened just fine. Any ideas? I will try a reinstall and see if that fixes it.

What version of SketchUp? Please complete your profile.

Find the installer or download a fresh copy from Download All | SketchUp and right click on it and choose Run as administrator. Then choose Repair if presented with that option.

Thanks for the quick response Dave. I have tried this now 4 time and a complete removal and reinstall. No joy. Any other ideas? I also lost my internet connection which is why I it took me so long to respond back. I’m on SketchUp Pro Classic 2019.

Does anything happen when you try to open SketchUp?

The little hourglass pops up for a second, then nothing. Incidentally, I still have the 2018 version installed and the same thing happens with that.

Check in the Nvidia control panel to make sure it is set up to be used by SketchUp.

I’ve heard of a few other people having the similar complaint after a Windows update but repairing the SU installation seemed to take care of it.

I suppose the other option would be to roll back Windows to before the update.

Does that mean enabling Stereoscopic 3D, which is currently turned off? I’ve never messed with this before so I’m not quite sure what I’m doing. Thanks

No. There should be a place to manage 3D settings and you should be able to add SketchUp. No need to make any changes to the settings below. Just make sure SketchUp is included. On this computer it looks like this.
Screenshot%20-%2012_12_2019%20%2C%204_16_33%20PM

Dave, thank you for your help today. After spending hours on the phone (with Microsoft on my computer), the problem appears to be solved. The tech did what you suggested and I had tried, which was to go into the NVIDIA Control Panel and re-add SketchUp. He then set the Power Management Mode to “Prefer Maximum Performance.” Interestingly, this was already the setting on LayOut which had been working all along. Lost a day but don’t need a new computer so I guess it’s a win.

1 Like

Glad to know you got that sorted. Might be worth keeping a note about this solution because it isn’t unlikely that Microsoft will do this to you again with another update someday.

Absolutely! Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 183 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.