As my first How To post, here is a method of creating a component that cuts through a surface.
Here are a few things to keep in mind
Although you can activate the cutting feature on an existing component, it can become a complicated knowing how it will cut. In this example, the cutting component will be created independent of any design project.
- Create a surface that will be serve as the location of the cutting plane for your component and the drawing plane from which your component will be created. It won’t matter if it is a ground plane or a vertical plane as the component in this example will automatically align with ANY surface. *Be sure that it is larger than the component.
- Draw your component on the cutting plane surface. The area utilizing the cutting plane must stay within the bounds of the cutting plane surface.
- Select all the geometry making up your component. Make sure the cutting plane is not selected.
- Once selected, go to the menu bar and select Edit > Make Component. The axis in the component preview should be flattened and laying against the cutting plane.
- In the component creation dialog, “Replace selection with component”, Cut Opening and Glue to: “Any” should be selected.
Provide an appropriate name … and then select Create
Your component should now reside on the cutting plane and you should be able to find it in the In Model area of the Component Browser. (Window>Components). You can now save it to your local component library and or upload it to the 3DWH for use in your future projects.
Here is an old video (SU 6 I think!) running you through the steps
I hope this helps