Sketchup crashes when I try to export to dwg or dxf

Trying to export my 3D model to a .dwg or .dxf file and sketchup crashes. I’ve never had this before, I export files from sketchup to .dwg all the time.

How big is the SketchUp file? If you share the file so we can see what you are working with it would be easier for us to help you.

exec storage.skp (1.7 MB)

I uploaded the file, can you take a look at it?

There’s a lot of reversed faces and bad geometry. Incorrect tag usage and quite a bit of unused stuff. There should be no exposed blue back faces.

Screenshot - 5_18_2023 , 9_48_36 AM
Lots of loose geometry, too.

Screenshot - 5_18_2023 , 9_50_12 AM

Screenshot - 5_18_2023 , 9_50_26 AM

What do you need out of this model for a .dxf or .dwg? 2D? 3D? Is this something you modeled from scratch? What information do you need out of it? The dimensions of this thing are strange.

No crashes here:
exec storage.dwg (247.5 KB)
exec storage.dxf (695.8 KB)
How do these look?

How do I fix all that stuff? I imported part of it from a mfg’s website and the rest I modeled. I need it as a 3D model, want to be able to render it in 2020 visual impressions

they’re not 3D. I need a 3D model

From what I see in the model I would start over from scratch and model it correctly for rendering. Since it’s just for pretty pictures there are a lot of features that could be ommitted like all those details underneath that won’t be seen. What parts did you add?

What are the actual dimensions supposed to be?

Here’s a 3D .dxf export. It didn’t crash for me either. i’d guess your hardware is not up to snuff for what you want it to do. Note this is not cleaned up.
exec storage.zip (2.4 MB)

My mistake.
When I tried it that way, it exported without crashing, but I also got an error message.
InvalidInput
Here’s the result:
exec storage.zip (2.6 MB)

Ye, maybe I should try to model it from scratch. Thanks for your help

1 Like

Did you look at the .dxf file I uploaded? Did it work at all?

I think you’ll wind up with a better product for your application if you model it cleanly and leave out the unneeded stuff.

lemme try now

1 Like

This .dxf that you sent me is loading into giza 2020 but it’s a veerryy heavy model… too hard to work with.

Just to keep you posted. I modeled it from scratch and used it for this rendering

2 Likes

Much nicer looking.

I’m new to Sketchup. I’ve made a model of a home music studio, and I need to upload the geometry to a plug-in called Treble (Treble acoustic simulation suite). I’ve been working on the project and it uploaded just fine, but I’ve made some changes. After the changes, now when I try uploading, it just keeps crashing. Been sitting for a long while trying to find errors, change things up and fix it. But still it’s just crashing.

So I open the Treble extension and I click “Check model”. It says “exporting geometry”, and every time the whole Sketchup program goes into “not responding”.

Hjemmestudio 454.skp (4.5 MB)

I’d appreciate it a whole lot if someone would download the file and help me check for errors. I really don’t understand what’s wrong.

I don’t know what Treble requires but I wonder if the incorrectly oriented faces on the wall with the windows might be a problem. You should have all ffront faces toward the inside.

I note a little incorrect tag usage in your model.
Screenshot - 2_5_2024 , 12_19_35 PM
Also a lot of unused content to purge.
Screenshot - 2_5_2024 , 12_19_52 PM

There’s also a weird arrangement of geometry in the windows. The borders of the windows are a component but the “glass” isn’t.

Maybe this one will play for you better?
Hjemmestudio 454 purged.skp (2.3 MB)

1 Like

@DaveR Thank you so much. I appreciate you taking the time. It did clean up my work.

It seems like there was an issue with all the models I’ve downloaded from the Warehouse. When I removed them everything started working fine. It may be specific to the software and extension I’m using with Sketchup.

1 Like