Sketchup constantly freezing/lagging - Please help!

Hi, I really want to use Sketchup, but I find the lag intolerable. It constantly freezes, almost after every single click. At best, it will function normally for a full 5 seconds, and then freeze again for anywhere from 2 seconds to a minute or more. I had this problem with the web version and so now I’m on the free trial of Pro, thinking if it works faster I’ll bite the bullet and pay the $300 to use it, but the experience is the same.

I’ve checked to make sure my computer exceeds all the minimum requirements. Video card is NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1060. I’ve tried lowering my display refresh rate. Nothing helps. I’ll paste my system info below and attach the log from running Sketchup Checkup. If anyone has any suggestions for how I can make this program functional, it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Device name PCAudioLabs-DAW
Processor Intel(R) Core™ i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz 3.70 GHz
Installed RAM 32.0 GB
Device ID AFDBECBD-E184-424B-B701-EB7C8955A0D6
Product ID 00326-00821-92222-AAOEM
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch No pen or touch input is available for this display
Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 20H2
Installed on ‎3/‎17/‎2021
OS build 19042.1348
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.3920.0

SketchUpLog.sulog (122.3 KB)

Typically freezing and lagging has more to do with how the model is built. Share your .skp file so we can see what you are working with.

Also make sure you’ve installed SketchUp correctly which requires right clicking on the downloaded installer and selecting Run as administrator.

I have lagging immediately upon creating a project. Here’s the one I’m working with now:

Site Plan.skp (276.4 KB)

Make sure you have the most up to date driver for your graphic card, check on the nvidia site.
Make sure the Nvidia is being used, Look in Window/Preferences/Opengl Graphic card detail.
I notice you have Profiles turned on in the style, they shouldn’t be an issue with a simple model but can slow down something complex. View/Edge Style.Profiles

1 Like

I’m not seeing any problem with your model on my computer which makes me wonder first about correct installation of SketchUp and second if the Nvidia graphics card is actually being used to display SketchUp and if the drivers are up to date.

1 Like

When I look in Window/Preferences/OpenGL graphic card detail, it shows I’m using the NVIDIA. I definitely used run as administrator when installing. Can anyone recommend similar design software that is as intuitive and easy to use as Sketchup? I’m willing to pay for it but I need something that works.

I’d have to say this is a system issue and not a problem with SketchUp. You wrote that even this simple model you shared exhibits the problem you are having but it’s not a problem on other computers. My computer is considerably older and lower spec than yours and there’s not problem with your model or much more complex ones. Seems to me that you should work out what’s causing the problem because SketchUp will work much better than you are currently seeing.

1 Like

So how do I do that?

First step would be to go to the Nvidia site to download and install the latest drivers for your video card.