Sketchup 2024 lots of issues

First time here. Hoping to find some help. 2024 is crashing two or 3 time a day on pretty simple models, What the heck did they do with saving to older versions? I use vetric software for cnc gcode and have to save in an older version (2019 or older) to be able to import into Vcarve. Exporting DXF file to use in Vcarve is something of a joke. never the right sizes and way to much geometry being pulled from the flat file. with the exception of ambient inclusion (which I Love) Ver 2024 feels like a major step backwards. Any help would be great!

Hi Izzy, long time no chat.

Are you getting Bug Splats when it crashes and are you sending them in with your email address attached? Maybe @colin can check them to see what’s going on.

When you installed SketchUp did you do so correctly? That requires right clicking on the downloaded installer and choosing Run as administrator.

What graphics card? Your profile says N/A but there must be some GPU in your computer and it matters.

This was explained months back. I’ll try to find it. A model created in SketchUp 2024 will open in any version back to 2021.There are a couple of extensions for saving to older versions or, if you are keeping an older version of SketchUp running to work with Vectric, you can use an extension called Eneroth Open Newer Version in that version of SKetchUp. (I wonder if Vectric will ever update their software to be able to handle SketchUp 2021 and above?

Are you setting the camera to Parallel Projection and the appropriate standard view before export?

Might make sense to set up a viewport in LayOut, render it as Vector and export the DXF file from there. That’s generally a better option.

FWIW, I’ve been using SketchUp 2024 every day, usually more than 10 hours a day and haven’t had a crash for months, even with complex models.

Best wishes.

hello, see this thread to save as older version

Dezmo Save to older SketchUp Version

1 Like

Thank you for the quick replies, NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Graphics card. I installed as administrator. I did use parallel mode when saving dxf.

thank you I will check it out.

that worked thank you thank you thank you. been using the same work flow for years now and this version really really messed with that.

2 Likes

Please update your forum profile.