Sketchup 2021 freezing upon opening some files

Hello!

I’ve been having some issues with sketchup 2021 and now’s the point where i have a deadline and can’t get around the problem. I can’t seem to open some files that have been created in the 2021 version. However when i open sketchup normally, make something random and save it i can open it.
Sketchup completely freezes and i need to force it with taskmanager.
I’ve reinstalled sketchup 2021 - didn’t help.

Thanks for the advice!

Please upload to the forum a model that exhibits this behavior.

Santi Bredabaan 2021.skp (6.1 MB)

Thanks for the quick reply :slight_smile:

Does this behave any better?
Santi Bredabaan 2021 purged.skp (4.2 MB)

I fixed the incorrect tag usage and purged unused stuff.
Screenshot - 8_17_2021 , 11_52_47 AM

Screenshot - 8_17_2021 , 11_53_01 AM

This reduced the file size by about 30%.

I wasn’t seeing any freezing before but maybe that’s just a difference in graphics cards or something. Are you saving the file locally or to a network drive or to the cloud?

Yes that works much better :slight_smile:
We use Egnyte at Skilpod. It’s saved locally and then synced with the cloud.
So how do i proceed from here? There will be more files that have this problem and that i can’t open with the skp2020 version to purge them. How did you do it? My colleague could open it (Mac) so i could ask him to do the same…

You can purge your files in SketchUp 2021. Your profile indicates that is the version you are using and you included it in the title of your thread.

I used a plugin from TIG called Default Tag Geometry (or Default Layer Geometry) at Sketchucation to correct the incorrect tag usage. Then I used his Purge All because it gives the report to show what was removed. Purging unused can also be done from Model Info>Statistics. That’ll show you what’s left and you can do the math if you want to know how much was removed.

yes i use skp2021 but this particular file i couldn’t open anymore. i open it and it freezes immediately…

Does the one I uploaded freeze for you?

Make sure your graphics drivers are up to date. Check with the manufacturer of the graphics card for that.

Are you opening it from your local drive or from the cloud?

the one you uploaded works fine, thanks for that.
The one i sent you freezes, also when i first copy it to a local place.
I’ve updated the graphic driver, didn’t help anything.

There’s a notification in the bottom about Thumbnails, disappears quickly and then it freezes.

Open a different SketchUp file. Go to the Scenes panel and in the Details menu turn off Use SceneThumbnails. Save that file and then try opening your troublesome file again.
Screenshot - 8_17_2021 , 12_37_48 PM

thanks but didn’t help

Clearly there’s an issue with your computer since your colleague and I could both open the file with no problem. It’s hard to say what that is.

When you installed SketchUp 2021 did you install it correctly? That means right clicking on the downloaded installer and selecting Run as Administrator.

sorry also doesn’t help.
damnit. is there something else to try?

I’m afraid I haven’t any other suggestions for you at this point.

Use the one I uploaded instead since it doesn’t misbehave on your computer. Also get in the habit of keeping your tag usage correct and the model clean.

Have you tried opening 2021, then use Open from the File menu to open one of the troublesome files?

yes, unsuccesful

Do you have time to click “cancel” or the “dont generate…” box before it disappears?
Are you using the latest maintenance release of SketchUp Pro 2021?
Is your Nvidia driver up to date?

YES! Clicking cancel does the trick!
Nvidea driver was update (see above) and the sketchup pro 2021 is the latest version (i downloaded and installed it again as administrator yesterday)

Glad you got that sorted. I was under the impression you’d already tried canceling the thumbnail creation but it didn’t work or I’d have suggested it yesterday.