SketchUp 2020 has landed!

That could explain why my extension sales has dropped since EW2.

Although I have downloaded some 25 or more plugin’s NONE show up on the page you indicate. (A few are Fredo6’s and only on Sketucation). The ‘my downloads’ on EW is blank.
Look I am a one-man shop, I don’t have the privileged of programming solutions, I just need to get back to work. I have been a faithful user of Sketchup since Google days. Every year I expect to see someone with a lot more expertise than I, make the routine that will read the previous year’s plugins and check to see if they will work the current year, then install them.
I am sure there are many others who wish the same thing. In fact, my recollection is that this exact subject was discussed way back at SU7 or SU8 as a “WISH LIST” item.

2 Likes

If you install your extensions from Sketchucation using the Sketchucation Extension Store, current version of those extension can be automatically installed in the new version with the click of a button.

The EW had the same sort of option for extensions that were installed from there although the recent change in the Warehouse platform temporarily removed it. We were told that the feature would be restored to the EW interface soon, though.

If users were AR about keeping their extensions up to date, most extensions could actually be copied from one version to the next. Evidence has shown, however, that most users don’t keep their extensions up to date. Some even refuse to update them and complain that SketchUp is alerting them to available updates.

1 Like

I hear you, only a few of mine were there. I did say the place was a WIP.

Thank you for the clear explanation. I try to keep my extensions up-to-date; I have kept all the files from SketchUcation, so that was much easier to install with the Windows/Extension Manager than I had originally thought. The only issue with EW was that many of the files say they are not ready for or compatible with SketchUp 2020.
It appears from my very limited vantage point that the message about updating pertains to some of our authors too. I get it that most of the Ruby writers don’t make money in this venture, and are working in the ‘real’ world for dollars or rubles or pounds or franks. So this is not a condemnation, but just an observation.

The only thing that means for sure is the author hasn’t updated the page to add 2020 to the Compatibility list. Most likely the extension will work just fine.

I reinstalled about 30 extensions for SU20, almost all came with a pop up warning about compatibility, none were listed as updated for 2020, every single one works fine in 2020. FYI.

Speaking of extension compatibility, extensions with compiled code tends to need updating. These are are typically extensions doing heavy calculations like renderers, sub division tools and similar. Smaller extensions doing less math-intense work usually just keeps working in newer SU versions as the extensibility team do their best to keep API compatibility. Unless the extension is very big and fancy you can normally ignore that warning.

It’s also worth noting that Extension Warehouse 2 makes it much harder to mark extensions as compatible. Previously you could could open up the edit form for multiple extensions side by side and mark them as compatible in parallel with loading new pages. Now you can’t open this form in a new tab, so you have to open each extension one at a time, try to stay focus when you are waiting for the page to load, try to stay focus when you are waiting for the page to load, try to stay focus when you are waiting for the page to load, mark it as compatible, save, go back, click next extension, try to stay focus when you are waiting for the page to load, try to stay focus when you are waiting for the page to load, try to stay focus when you are waiting for the page to load, and so on.

I can’t do this for all of my all 81 extensions, so until this is fixed I’m just saying here they should all be compatible.

6 Likes

Hi

I’m loving the new improved Inferencing in 2020.

Thankyou

Mike

5 Likes

Good move.

They never were actually “layers,” and the name continuously caused confusion.

1 Like

Dear Sketchup-Team

Just updated to 2020 a couple of days ago (I don’t prefer to be a first-mover) and couldn’t test all the new features yet, but:

• The new possibilities in layout to select tags and styles is SUCH A GAMECHANGER!

So simple, so good, such a timesaver! Thanks and go on with such good improvements!

2 Likes

HI all.
I’m keen to hear from Pro users who are making complicated technical drawings and detail models… is 2020 LO+SU working okay for you?

Are all extensions behaving? Workflows all intact?

I can’t switch my team across until I’m fairly certain all bugs and issues have been resolved (for PC users at least).

Thanks for any input :slight_smile:

So far 2020 is solid. New features in both programs are really appreciated, and both feel very stable. I have a crash once in a while, but no more than with previous versions, and ususlly while using some extension. All my common extensions are up and running in 2020 no problem (even those which are labeled as “incompatible”). I am also very cautious and cant afford to loose time in sorting out software problems, I even stuck with SU18 for an extra year to avoid some of the concerns with 19, I have not been disappointed by 20, it’s great.

Workflows are all working fine. There are some new workflow options available in Layout, now that we have control of many of the display options of scenes / viewports directly from within Layout. It’s a really useful improvement IMHO but needs to be fully understood to be used safely.

I’m on Mac, but I have not heard of any significant problems on PC either.

2 Likes

I don’t know if my models would be considered detailed or my construction drawings complicated but in SU I can have multiple groups within groups within groups and in LO I can have many pages of stacked viewports and scaled drawings.

I work exclusively on single dwellings.

I use a number of Curic’s extensions and some others and I’m having no more bugsplats than I did with 2019.

Workflow from SU to LO is good for me.

Like endlessfix I like the expanded ability to control the model from within LO.

1 Like

Am I supposed to use my SketchUp community ID and password? Is there a special Warehouse ID and password? Am I supposed to use my Google ID and password? Nothing is working, including the “reset password.” Trimble isn’t sending a reset email for either of my emails. It’s extremely frustrating.

If you are using SketchUp 2018 and want to sign in, you need to create a Trimble ID. That can be your Google email if you want, it can be any email, but usually the one that you have used in the past for Extension Warehouse and 3D Warehouse.

If your email is handled by Microsoft it can be a challenge to find the password reset emails. See if the steps I gave here will let you find the emails:

My SketchUp community ID and password won’t work for the warehouse? Because I can sign into the community forums.

The password requirements for Trimble are tougher than the forum. I checked my forum password, and it would fail for a couple of reasons if use as a Trimble password.

You could come up with a Trimble password that is permitted, then change your forum password to match that one. Or maybe your forum password is already compliant, but you wouldn’t be able to sign into Trimble with any password until you have created a Trimble ID for your email address.

Or, change the way you sign into the forum to be Sign in with SketchUp. That does seem to use the Trimble sign in system.

Nothing is working. I tried to create a new password using a new gmail account I just created, and when I click on “create Trimble password,” the only option I’m given is “reset password.” Clicking “reset password” is a total dead end. It doesn’t send me a password reset email. It does absolutely nothing.

I purchased SketchUp Pro for $500, and now I’m locked out of the warehouse, trying passwords, and getting locked out again for half an hour. This is a total waste of my time.

I haven’t worked since March. I finally got hired to design a Christmas special, and now I’m hamstrung by this idiotic password situation. I don’t understand why the warehouse is password-protected in the first place. Half of the files on the warehouse are useless junk uploaded by amateurs.

I have given feedback about those buttons, and that if you don’t have an account you might think that Create Trimble Password is the right one to choose. But it’s not, Continue to Trimble Sign-In is the right one. You then get a chance to create an account.

I made a screen recording, in SketchUp 2017, but the steps would be the same in 2018. I didn’t do a good password, or the last step of creating account. If I had, the next step would be to receive a confirmation email, after which I could then sign into SketchUp with my new Trimble ID.