2020.1 is already here: Freshening up SketchUp Pro

We may have mentioned this before, but it bears repeating… we take feedback from you — our community — seriously. And while we can’t make every improvement that’s requested (we’re only human, after all!), we try our darndest to address many of them. That’s why we are excited to announce our 2020.1 release! For this version, we gathered user feedback and polished up existing features with some exciting additions and improvements.

Some of the new features you will notice are performance enhancements with Outliner, better toggling visibility with hidden geometry and objects, Section Plane visibility control, ability to edit hidden objects, consistency with Grips using the Rotate tool, and (Phew! We need a breather!) some more significant features as well.

Empty object

Accidental groupings are a thing of the past. Now, you can start creating a grouped object or component by right-clicking on an empty space — or you can also use the ‘G’ shortcut to create a new component.

And, an added bonus! When you create a new component from scratch, a window will pop up allowing you to name it right from the start. Say hello to better model organization.

LayOut got some love too! For this release, we focused on making LayOut faster with quicker deletion and selection capabilities. But, that’s not all… we also made some slick improvements to the Select Tool to help you make intentional — not accidental — moves with your crossing and window selection workflows. Now, when you click-drag to create a crossing or window selection, you won’t mistakenly move anything.

As always, let us know what you think about all the new features! Check out the full release notes here.

Happy Sketching!

All of the 2020.1 features are available to Classic license users with active Maintenance & Support, and active SketchUp Pro and SketchUp Studio subscription users.

12 Likes

Its worth noting that this is an incremental update to 2020 not a new version, so it overwrites your existing 2020 rather than installing separately.
This means all extensions and toolbars etc remain unchanged, so no need to rebuild anything.
But it does mean that if it causes issues on your specific system it is a little more difficult to revert to your working version. Unlike running 2020 next to 2019 until you are sure it is working for you. That’s just a word of caution so you know what you are doing before updating in the middle of a major deadline.

6 Likes

Creating empty Groups and Components is great.

2 Likes

Don’t leave them empty, though… :grinning:

2 Likes

Installed 2020.1 successfully but trying to do a repair because I forgot to run as administrator and I got this…

Then when I click cancel I get this…

Can’t we install 2020.1 on another drive? My Sketchup 2020 is on E and I like to keep my sofwares installed on E drive. My C drive hasn’t so many space for softwares. any suggestion?

Try a cold reboot, that would clear the temp folders

Yes, you could, but generally, I prefer the C: drive

Shut down, had coffee, restarted and still getting the issue…

Thanks Mike. In the new SketchUp installer, the Destination Directory is grayed out. What should I do in order to be able to install it anywhere else?
2020-05-01 16_54_42-SketchUp 2020

1 Like

Same issue here. There is no way to change the destination directory - the field is locked.

A search on the forum, other people are getting this problem of a seemingly non-existent .msi file for previous 2020 versions

So, I’m back to 2020.1 installed as administrator after uninstalling back to 2019.

I first installed 2020.0 and the toggle grips feature using the down arrow key works.

Installed 2020.1 and the toggle grips for move and rotate does not work (this is the reason why I originally tried to do a repair because I thought having not installed as administrator was the reason toggle was not working).

Have I missed something? Is it another key in 2020.1 that toggles to grips?

at least you had coffee…

1 Like

toggle key is now Alt for windows, Command for MacOs

Yes, from the release notes:

1 Like

but not that obvious in the blog post (if at all), or in the Quick Win video…

But it does tell you in the status bar.

2 Likes