2020.1 is already here: Freshening up SketchUp Pro

Tip: assign a shortcut for making group (personally have ‘G’ for Make Group and ‘Alt G’ for Make Component) This bypasses the need to click in an empty space to start a new Object. (Unlike the model in the blogpost, there is usually a floor or wall etc.)

ShortCut G

3 Likes

What kind of an answer is that? That’s great that you prefer C: drive, but if it can be installed to a different drive, then please tell us how to do it.

2 Likes

if I could, I would. Haven’t tried to install on Windows…

1 Like

So you’re a Mac guy. That’s cool. Maybe the latest version has to be installed on the C: drive for some reason (I can’t think of any), or maybe Trimble took away the option of installing on another drive or overlooked including the option in the programming. That might be something for the next update: give us back the option of installing it to a different drive. My computer’s C: drive is an SSD with not a lot of space and I’d rather not fill it up with apps.

2 Likes

Cool update everyone. Being able to make a group before drawing a new object will make my life so much easier.

For those trying to install minor updates in different folders. I can’t imagine it’ll work well, Sketchup versions shares lots of files in global and user folders across the system, things like extensions, preferences and things. I’m assuming that only major releases can be installed in different locations to avoid any of those issues.

3 Likes

It sure is!

For my workflow, it would have been great to be able to name the newly created empty group from the get-go as well, as groups are what I mostly work with…
And, for those who don’t name their groups, there could be a toggle in model info.

I am sure there is a reason for the omission?

1 Like

so… is there a way that we can install SketchUp in another hard drive? I really don’t wanna install in drive C: :frowning:
@Sandra

What happens if you uninstall 2020.1, then install it again, not as admin? I think you said that worked for you the first time.

Thanks for the reply Colin.

It was my mistake - I missed that the toggle key had changed to alt

Has anyone been able to install on a drive other than C:?

Thanks for the update. I have a 2019 MacBook Pro with a high end workstation-level graphics card. When will Mac users see an uptake in graphics performance using Layout? I render my window only as needed but I would like the graphics card to be taking the load from processor. Is this happening yet? If not, when??? Also, my dimensions still sometimes switch themselves to a different scale. Again thanks for the upgrade and looking forward for a speed boost!

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see why having quick, contextual access to name a group would be useful. We’ve certainly thought about this, and I hope we continue to make progress on this front.

Hello,
I have got a problem: i have not found the language in the installation, and it where easier for me to have French: how can i change the language please?
thank you very much

In 2020.1, the section planes are more like objects. If I do ‘select all’, it also selects the active section plane even if ‘Display Section Planes’ is turned off. To me, this is unwanted behavior and also not logical because hidden objects normally are not selected when using ‘select all’