Sketchup 2020 - specific question on some extensions

I haven’t (yet) downloaded Pro 2020 for either of my licenses (Classic at home, subscription at work). I usually wait a bit and monitor the forum to see what upgrade hassles/incompatibilities I might face.

In this case, I so like the name change of “Layers” to “Tags” that I might upgrade sooner rather than later.

However, given this particular name change, I’m wondering about the interface of the various extensions I use that involves Layers(Old)/Tags(new). Specifically, these are the extensions I use and rely on:

• Layers Organizer
  • ALL of @medeek’s extensions.

My questions:

1. Will they work with 2020?
  2. If they work with 2020, does their UI still use “Layers” - or has that now changed to “Tags”

I appreciate anyone who can enlighten me. Your answers will help determine if I upgrade sooner vs. later.

Thanks in advance!

Over the next few days I will be testing all of my extensions with SU 2020, I really hoping there are no issues but you never know until you actually test it. If there are issues I will then need to address those items one by one.

So far no major issues with the wall plugin however I’ve noticed the creation of some temporary components with the model when creating doors. I will need to look at this further. The user can purge them out easily enough but I need to understand why they might be getting created in the first place.

P.S.

I will need to explore this further in a developer’s thread. The issue seems to be “temp” components being created when doing an outer shell and the previous groups hanging around as components in the model even though they have been eliminated by the outer shell method. I’m not seeing this problem in SU 2017, I will need to back check 2018 and 2019 to see when the issue first showed up, it may have been prior to 2020 and I might just not have noticed it.

If the developer didn’t changed the UI, it will still show ‘Layers’. In our Skalp version for 2020 we have replaced all ‘layer’ naming to ‘tags’. But at this moment we still show ‘Layer0’ instead of ‘Untagged’ because the API return ‘Layer0’ instead of ‘Untagged’ when asking the name of the default ‘Tag/Layer’

6 Likes