Sketchup 2018 crashing on Startup

Hi All,

I have 2018 Pro for a couple of days now running fine. Installed Vray 3.6 and a few extensions but now when I go to open it brings up the error message below and then closes.

Does the same on Pro 2017 but then works???

Any advise?

Cheers

Load Errors
Error Loading File C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/init.rb
Error: #<StandardError: Failed to initialize V-Ray>
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in require' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/RubyStdLib/rubygems/core_ext/kernel_require.rb:54:in require’
C:/Program Files/Chaos Group/V-Ray/V-Ray for SketchUp/extension/ruby/init.rb:1:in <top (required)>' C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in require’
C:/Program Files/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/Tools/extensions.rb:197:in load' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/vfs.rb:26:in register_extension’
C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/vfs.rb:26:in <module:VRay>' C:/ProgramData/SketchUp/SketchUp 2018/SketchUp/Plugins/vfs.rb:4:in <top (required)>’

Contact ChaosGroup who should know what to do.

Hey,
I have the same problem. Did you manage to solve this?

Cheers

Same problem here, too. Chaos has been contacted and opened a ticket to look into it.

Hi All,

I have contacted Chaos group and the problem is partially solved. Basically its 3rd party plugins that are causing the issue.

You need to un-install vray. open Su18 turn off all plugins via the plugins manager. close Su down. Re-instal vray and you can reopen Su18 and turn back on the plugins until you find the plugin that is causing the crash. Basically trail and error of un-installing and re-installing vray.

I have done for mine and its still temperamental but is working.

Once you do let chaos group know and they can solve for the next release.

Cheers

1 Like

Hi,

I had the same issue. The problem can be solved by installing sketchup 2017 pro and then previous version of vray (3.4). For me is sucks, I have license only for 2018.

Update:
I removed my national language version, then installed SketchUpPro-en.exe, reinstalled Visual Studio Redistribute and it solved the problem.

Best regards.

Just in the plugin folder find su_dynamiccomponents.rb (open it with some ruby editor in the plugin store) and add to the beginning of the code: “UI.start_timer (5, false) {”
and at the end of the code: “}”. It will load DC plugins after all other (5 = seconds, false) plugins, as well as Vray. So the Vray load will be normal and you will be able to use all the benefits of sketchup and vray.
Plugin folder on win: C:\Users\User name\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2018\SketchUp\Plugins

I have the same problem. Can you please create screenshot to understand where exactly I need write this code: “UI.start_timer (5, false) {”
and at the end of the code: “}” ?

And why do you think that the problem is in Dynamic Components? In extension manager I turned off DC but vray still crash the SU startup.

1 Like

Disable DC in extension Manager, make a scene and do a save, it does not matter what scene, the save part is important.
Close and reopen sketchup to see if still disabled, close sketchup again.
Reinstall vray

Vray has somehow been involved in the DC plugin since the very beginning. Normally in SketchUp can happen that the two plugins get into a fight with each other. So, when it comes to vray I haw suspected at the DC.

2 Likes

Ok. I disabled “Dynamic Components” and “su_dynamicomponents” in Extension manager then I saved my skp file. Then I opened it again and in Extension manager I saw that “Dynamic Components” is disabled but “su_dynamicomponents” is enabled. Is it ok? I didn’t anything in SU so I closed it and after that again opened and now both “Dynamic Components” and “su_dynamicomponents” plugins is enabled.
Vray is unistalled.

Thanks, I will try it.

Did you create a scene?

I have my standard scene (named as “Work”) in my template what I use in startup, therefore I didn’t create new scene I just updated my “Work” scene and saved skp project.
Screenshot_2

“su_dynamicomponents” is a surplus. You probably did something in the plugin folder.

You I right, thanks. I simply created a copy of su_dynamiccomponents.rb in plugin folder to try use code (UI.start_timer (5, false){) in original file and forgot remove copy from plugin folder.

Did you change the code? Is it all right now?
Does Vray and DC work together now?

Not yet, wait a bit.

No. It doesn’t work. I wrote the code to sum dynamic components.rb as you shown in screenshot. May be the problem is in another plugins.

Screenshot_4

For now it works with 1001 bit tools and DC! SU doesn’t crasched. I will enable another plugins one by one to see what makes the problem.