SketchUp 2017 is here!

The skalp window open in sketchup 2017 but without any respond, and when opening skalp sketchup hang and forced to close it from the task manager.

Did you installed Skalp 2.0? Skalp 1.2 doesn’t support SketchUp 2017. You can download Skalp 2.0 beta from our website.

I downloaded skalp v2.0.0114 beta with sketchup 2017 support, and I’m already purchased skalp not as trial.

OH ■■■■!!! I just downloaded and installed SketchUpMake 2017 and nothing was imported from the 2016 version. Thus I’m forced to reinstall everything and recustomize everything. OH JOY!!! What a PITA!

Actually i tried to send message first through website of skalp but it doesn’t work that’s why i contacted you here. ok i’ll send you on this email.team viewer is very good idea i have it already setup.

Great news that SU 2017 is here. Is it now safe to upgrade the Mac OS to Sierra?

Yes, it is advertised to be safe on Sierra.

As with any software, that does not mean there are absolutely no remaining known issues or that new ones won’t be found as millions of users begin exercising SU 2017. It means that the development team got the product to the point where Trimble believes there are no outstanding “show stoppers” under Sierra.

Wow Faster API!
I work on a small plugin IFC to Layer Plugin
For Big Model SU2016 just can’t do it (to much component definition…)
And SU2017 just do it in few seconds…

1 Like

Option to change axis colors is, for me, one of the best new features. Being colorblind (red/green) I have often struggled to differentiate between the X and Y axis lines. Thank you SketchUp team!

3 Likes

A major release? Why not do monthly major releases like “Sketchup Pro 2017 November” then we could fill all this spare time we have re-configuring Sketchup every month.

As far as I can tell it’s not really much of a major release though, is it…? Some of this stuff is already covered by plugins and shouldn’t the other stuff really just be in an update?..

I really do wish the new versions would install over the old and retain all the plugins and their serial numbers or at least import them if you really must have a new version for every blasted year!

So there you have it, Bah Bloo#y Humbug, It’s no Christmas treat getting the latest version (having paid the yearly maintenance fee) when I have to do all this re-configuring every time. :disappointed:

Shan’t subscribe to the maintenance next year, No point.

1 Like

Is 2017 backward compatible with 2016 or will everyone I send a 2017 file to have to be on 2017, or I have to “down save” to 2016 everything I do? I work with a lot of peeps that aren’t on the maintenance plan, they’ll have 2016 for awhile.

Down save

Well that bites, I thought it would be a good thing to be on the maintenance plan. SAAS is a double edged sword, I have so many programs now that I just keep paying and paying for monthly, or yearly that you used to be able to just buy and use for a few years before it became outdated and you wanted to upgrade.

There are still some basic features missing that I wish Trimble would include to make this a real professional system.
Features that are missing or need great improvement:

1. PDF Import (Windows)
  2. Generate report was added in 2016, but left out in the cold for fixes/ updates
    a. Lists do not sort in sequence, ie 1,10,11,12,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9
    b. names/ part numbers need some form of automation, sorting and better arrangements
    c. measurements should be adjustable, ie we list LxWxH in mm but volume should be in m^3
  3. Model organization/ naming
    There should be an easy way (aside from plugins) to select multiple identical parts and name them systematically so that generated lists can be exported properly. These new lists would play nicely into layout updates.

Trimble has the skills and ability to do all of this which they have done with their more indepth other arrangements of products. I hope they bring some of these features here as the pro price tag has become fairly hefty.

3 Likes

SketchUp CheckUp won’t even install on my PC, should I just assume - DON’T UPGRADE? 2016, after a year finally runs well enough.

Theres a hololens sketchup viewer plugin!!. :scream: OMG - For a guy that is based in Unity 3D FBXing everything out of Sketchup into Max and back into Unity this is big!. Awesome to be isolating mixed reality technology into a single platform. I have been an avid vuforia user for a long time now and this is gonna be great. Price is a big steep though but understandable for a first time software. I was a little excited with Revits new Autodesk Live but this is next LEVEL.

I wonder if using a hololens is cheaper than using a smartphone with a Gear VR embedded with the Vuforia plugin.

…Must test

The biggest change is deep under the covers: they completely reworked the OpenGL graphics pipeline, both for improved performance on many things, better stability, and “future-proofing”. Depending on your hardware, the improvement can be significant (and also, if your OpenGL drivers and hardware don’t meet minimum standards, SU 2017 won’t even run. There is no longer a setting to turn off hardware acceleration).

1 Like

You can continue using an old version of SU for as long as you like. Multiple versions can install on the same computer at the same time.

I suppose you could view it as a long-standing limitation of the original skp file design, but SketchUp has always addressed version compatibility via “down save”. They have never issued “back-patches” to let old versions read newer version files. In fact, except in very special cases (such as when macOS Sierra was released while SU 2016 was still the current version and broke some things) they don’t release maintenance releases for any except the current version.

I thought that was what they did in the 2016 release…?

It’s all well and good telling everyone the software is well endowed etc, but by what you say, the only people that will know that are the Ultron supercomputer owning, drooling crazy men… or women.

Give us information with these “major releases” what are the best options regarding hardware price/performance where does one go from where one is at…

I have a Geforce GTX 680 (which is pretty old now) and a Xeon workstation with 32 threads and 64 gig ram, I don’t see any real performance boost and my large models seem just as jittery with the shadows.

A chart with some performance data from the ideal system down to what is acceptably usable I’m sure would help a lot of people to upgrade wisely. I’d certainly like to know what would give me the largest performance increase for the best price.

Another major release (one a year since Trimble) yet the tool set is still very basic for a pro package, it seems Sketchup depends largely on the plugin community, yet with every “major release” more plugins are left behind due to rubyscript compatibility issues and I’m sure plugin developers have no real desire to update their fully working plugins every year! If they’re not careful Trimble/Sketchup may leave their developer community behind them and we’ll all end up with a white elephant.

I think with all the maintenance plan fees and the extensive number of plugins I’ve bought through the years, I’ve probably paid in excess of 2 grand maybe 3, which would probably buy a pretty neat 3d modelling package indeed with all the bolt-ons already built in, as it were! Whereas some of the plugins I’ve bought for Sketchup, with no continued support, don’t even work anymore…!

Hmmm… Major release for those with hardware that can probably already handle it anyway but very few other extras. Just an update with a new name, which brings me to my biggest bugbear, having to re-install all the blasted plugins every year for drokk sake!

Come on sort it out Trimble.

Totally agree!

I also hate, that I have always setup my tool bars and plug-ins from scratch. This takes away too much productive time. Trimble should really drastically improve the update procedure.