Sketchup 2016 Pro crashing on new iMac

Hi there,

I have just purchased a new iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015 and I’m working on Sketchup 2016 Pro most of the time.

It works perfectly until i try and turn on the shadows, change there style or export a .jpeg.

iMac Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015
OS X El Capitan 10.11.6
Processor: 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M390 2048 MB

Sketchup File
File size: 75MB
Edges 2166024
Faces 959180
Component Instances 285
Guides 0
Guide Points 0
Groups 1200
Images 1021
3d Polylines 0
Section Planes 0
Dimensions 0
Text 0
Classification Types 0
Classified Entities 0
Component Definitions 31
Layers 8
Materials 90
Styles 1

It stops responding, and activity monitor says its using over 100%CPU
Please can some help?

Thanks and best regards
Tilly

What happens if you turn off Hardware Acceleration in SketchUp’s Preferences? Does it still crash when you turn on shadows or otherwise change the style?

The viewpoint zooms in, so only the bottom left corner is on show. and its crashed.

I don’t understand. That’s what you get when you turn off Hardware Acceleration?

The style that I use uses the watercolour edges so i can tell where the edge of the viewport is. When i turn the Hardware Acceleration off, it only shows the bottom left corner of the viewport. Zoomed in isn’t the correct way of saying it. Id send a screenshot but frozen again.

ill send one when its back up and running

Is “Use maximum texture size” enabled? What happens if you disabled it?

I’m curious about why you need the watercolour edges to see the edges of the viewport.

Here’s a screenshot of my viewport when the Hardware Acceleration is not enabled.

The “use maximum texture size” has never been enabled.

I don’t need the watercolour edges to see the edges of the viewport, I’m sure the screenshot will make what i mean clear.

What does it look like when it is enabled?

It does look like the watermark isn’t centered. What style is it that you are using?

Is a combination of different styles that i am using,

Here’s what it should looking like, when the Hardware Acceleration is enabled.

So with Hardware Acceleration enabled, the watermark in the style looks right but SketchUp crashes? Hmmm…

Are you getting Bug Splats when SU crashes?

Sometimes but rarely. Most of the time it just stops responding and after leaving it for a while, it starts up again.

So then it usually isn’t crashing. Instead it just takes a while for the computer to process the model. What do you have installed iin the way of extensions or plugins? Is it possible that something like the Vray for SketchUp is dragging things down? That’s happened to others.

I have one extension installed, not sure what its called. i have nothing like Vray, or anything that does that amount of work. It only changes the size of the viewport.

hi Tilly,

I don’t think my extension would cause this issue, but you can turn it off in Preferences and restart SU to see if it helps…

if it is the cause, let me know and I’ll have a look why…

can you share one of the ‘shadow casting’ trees (or a link to them) as they may have problems…

john

1 Like

I cant actually find the trees that I use on 3D warehouse, I’m not sure how to share it with you. But they could be the problem.

However, I have had the same problem when the trees having been hidden.

The trees should be components. Right click on one and choose Save as… Save it and then upload the resulting SKP file.

it won’t upload, i have already tried that. the file is too big to share

Can you put it in a ZIP file and upload that? Or upload it to the 3D Warehouse and give us a link?

I found it …