Sketchup 17 drawings disappear

Sketchup drawings randomly disappear while I’m working on them. Is there a way to retrieve them?

What is the most recent action you have taken in SketchUp just before the drawing “disappears”? Have you tried the Zoom Extents function (Camera menu)? Or switch the camera from parallel to perspective mode? Or made sure that the object(s) are not on a layer that is set hidden? Or turn in hidden geometry (View menu)? If you look at the Edit menu, what exact menu item name is shown for the Undo function?

What is the most recent action you have taken in SketchUp just before the drawing “disappears”?

It has happened when using the protractor or eraser. In this case the eraser

Have you tried the Zoom Extents function (Camera menu)?

Yes no change

Or switch the camera from parallel to perspective mode?

Yes no change

Or made sure that the object(s) are not on a layer that is set hidden?

I am not familiar with this

Or turn in hidden geometry (View menu)?

I tried with no change.

If you look at the Edit menu, what exact menu item name is shown for the Undo function?

I undid the erase with no luck however sometimes when this happens which is too often I can retrieve the drawing as it reverts back to it.

I always draw in front view in the camera mode. If I start a new drawing in this mode I have a vertical blue line on top and blue dotted line going down. Horizontal red line to the right and a dotted redline to the left.
When this last drawing disappeared I have a vertical green line going up and a green dotted line going down. I have a horizontal red line going right and a dotted red line going left that turns into a black dashed line.

Thanks Tom any more ideas?

Share your .skp file so we can see what you are working with.

I cannot explain why the protractor function would cause the contents of the drawing to disappear. (Note that the Rotate function has the identical on-screen compass rose, and it’s possible to rotate the contents out of view. A re-zoom/pan/orbit would make them visible again.)

It is suspicious that the Eraser action was the one preceding the disappearance of the model. The primary purpose of the Eraser tool is to delete things - remove them from the model! The fact that undoing the Delete action performed by the eraser sometimes restores the model to view makes me think that what you are experiencing is a normal use of the eraser tool to delete stuff.

That sounds normal. Blue is the “up” axis, which is typically oriented vertically.

That is interesting. It seems that either the camera view has been rotated (the camera might be looking nearly straight down, for example), or the axes have been rotated (with the Axes function on the Tools menu), to cause the green axis to become vertical. Normally the green axis is on the horizontal plane of the 3D space.

I assume that you are doing something (unintentionally) to trigger the disappearance of the contents of the model. I’m not sure what is that action, other than perhaps to delete the contents via the Eraser tool.

|

DaveR SketchUp Sage
February 28

|

• | - |

Share your .skp file so we can see what you are working with.

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

In Reply To

|

jlsbfam
February 28

|

• | - |

What is the most recent action you have taken in SketchUp just before the drawing “disappears”? It has happened when using the protractor or eraser. In this case the eraser Have you tried the Zoom Extents function (Camera menu)? Yes no change Or switch the camera from parallel to perspective mod…

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

Front loader and new spring board for wn5.skp (33.3 KB)

Your model has fallen victim to a bug that was fixed in (I think) SketchUp 2019. If you are modeling something that is basically 2D, attach leader texts, and then edit the model the texts may get wrongly moved off to very far away. This causes the model contents to seem to disappear if you zoom, because the camera moves so far out that your contents are too small to be seen. Here’s a repaired model with the offender removed.

Front loader and new spring board for wn5.skp (45.3 KB)

Steve,
Come to think of it most of my drawings that disappeared had a text attached to them. Sometimes the text was there but not the rest of the drawing. A few times I restored the drawing but I don’t remember what I did to restore it. What are the steps in restoring the drawing?
Thank you for your help

Best work flow would be to avoid modeling in Parallel Projection. Save that for when you export images.

This topic was automatically closed after 186 days. New replies are no longer allowed.