Shortcuts are not saved!

I have been using Sketchup pro 2016 for Mac and PC. Mac sucks, and there is nothing that will ever make me feel any other way. However in this firm I’m working at they only use Macs. I use sketchup shortcuts ( standard and customized ) all the time. As sketchup keeps crashing out of the blue, all my shortcuts are wiped everytime I have to restart it. I don’t know where they HIDE and I’d love to find that precious file called “shortcuts.plist” so I can modify it and keep it handy.

Ideally I want to fix the problem where sketchup doesn’t save them automatically, but since I have no hope I would like at least to know the manual way of accessing them.

Thanks, Hope I get some help since I’ve already sent 4 emails to sketchup support and they are clearly not caring :slight_smile:

On the Mac, is there “Import” and “Export” buttons on the “Shortcuts” panel of the Preferences dialog ?

Shortcuts can be lost in a crash if you haven’t already saved them…

Saving them requires restarting SU, i.e. Quit and re-open SU…

All the SU user files are in the same place on a mac, and you can open from Rubt Console if you have your User Library hidden [edit: copy/paste the following line into RC]…

`open  -R "#{ENV["HOME"]}/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2016/SketchUp"`

there have been a few topics on this forum and a search may be worthwhile…

@DanRathbun, no such buttons on a mac…

john

1 Like

Hi Jhon, How do I save the shortcuts I have created then?

Can you direct me to the link on this forum where they export shortcuts on a Mac?

Thanks for your help, really.

to save them, you need to make them first in Preferences >> Shortcuts, then quit SU, then reopen SU…

the .plist will be saved, it’s only if you make a change and crash that it will ever corrupt…

if you do that step there is no real need for an extra backup, as mac makes one anyway…

if I type mac shortcuts into the search field, I see many…

CLICK HERE for a sort of ‘overview’ by Steve [another mac using sage]…

john

You are my new god.
I still don’t like Macs

each to there own, but I warn you now, you’ll get over it…

john

1 Like

Hey Yall, I’m having a problem- When I will make a custom shortcut, save the file, quit sketchup, and when I reopen sketchup, the custom shortcut is NOT saved. Also it looks like the extension warehouse threw up on my screen so I rearrange all my plugin bars /disable some plugins in extension warehouse- save- quit. When I reopen, it looks like a hot mess again. Any suggestions?

btw - Im on a mac - I tried to go into apple settings and see if threre are conflicting shortcuts- there are not. I clicked on text boxes and lists only- like they said in another thread. That didn’t work either.

On Mac, it’s SharedPreferences.json in ~/Library/Application Support/SketchUp 2019/SketchUp Does your system have trouble saving there, or are you crashing on close?

Maybe im “crashing on close” because apple gives me the notice “sketchup unexpectedly closed” even though I quit manually from the menu.

I tried to save a skp file in the location you mentioned and it “failed to save”

That’s exactly it. Figure out why it’s crashing first, or things don’t get saved.

what extensions are you running?

john

17%20AM

I’ve got a lot. I teach at a community college, so I’m demo-ing them for my students.

Any ideas?

It was established earlier that the folder containing the .json shared preferences file seems to have permission problems.
Navigate to that folder, select it and use the settings ‘cog’ to reset its read/write permissions to be more relaxed, also ensure that your choose to permeate the folder’s permissions to its contents.

Retry saving some SketchUp shortcuts and see if that has helped…

you have a few extensions that historically cause issues on a mac…

Layers Panel is a prime suspect for example…

running more than one renderer has also caused issues and both vRay and Podium have a track record…

re-name your Plugins folder and see if you can set shortcuts…

john

1 Like

I had the same problem with SU16 and SU19, removing Podium V2.5 solved the crashing on close problem.