Shadows, scenes and material texture in Enscape

Firstly, wanted to say thank you to this forum for the community and feedback. As a student it has been invaluable and offered insight my instructor hasn’t even provided!

I have been working on a few concept kitchens for a friend. I am rendering in Enscape.

I’ve created some scenes, two views of each kitchen (I realize this file is not entirely tidy…)

My issue is I started off the file with some pretty intense shadows. I’ve since tried to rectify the shadow issue – but I have to change the shadows for each scene and make sure I have the exact shadow settings for all 6 scenes. Is there a way to change the shadow for all the sc

nes at once? BTW Im on a Mac.

Also, when I turn off the shadows they are still showing up in Enscape. And, some of the materials I have created/ pulled from the internet are not showing up in Enscape. I know this isn’t an enscape forum, but wanted to throw that out th

ere in case anyone has insight.
Heck Kitchen Options .skp (11.7 MB)

1 Like

Someone who uses Enscape is likely to come along with more info but it looks to me as if the light illuminating your render is coming from the sun. You have to have some light in order to be able to see the model. You should be able to set the enviroment to look like high overcast so you don’t have strong shadows at all.

Edit: These are quick renders in another rendering application. These are done without materials just to make fast renders. I gave the “sun” a very large radius to simulate high overcast.

1 Like

The light is changing depending on the view because Enscape is re-calculating the light based on each camera position. I can’t recall how Enscape shows it in its settings but it’s equivalent to having ‘auto exposure’ turned on. Enscape is a ‘game engine’ raster-based renderer - which is a fancy way of saying it’s not trying to, or able to re-create the lighting as it would be in the real world. V-Ray does that. See if there is a way to ‘disable’ the environmental sun - which should make your scene dark - which then would require you light it with artificial lights. Another option might be to use a ‘studio’ HDRI for your environmental lighting. That might give you (similar to what @DaveR showed), a more even and controlled lighting result.

Regarding Materials. SketchUp usually stores most materials within the model itself - like being stored in it’s cache. Rendering programs like V-Ray and Enscape can and will store material reference files outside of the SketchUp file. It’s lkikely that the you to, within the Enscape Materials editor, re-path to where the material file is stored on your hard drive.

*PS, it’s important to know how to use SketchUp properly before trying to do the more advanced stuff like rendering. Make sure that you make groups and components for everything and ALL raw geometry (ie edges and faces) should remain untagged. Only groups or components should be assigned to Tags. Feel free to check out our free learning resources on SketchUp Campus: https://learn.sketchup.com/ - Cheers.

Thanks for the insight. Like I said, I’m a student. I just came off my first introduction to sketchup and enscape. And learning how to use groups is based on what my instructor taught me - but I realize my education will continue beyond that. I will check out that link you supplied. I extracted this kitchen from a larger project, and I know I did a few adjustments without giving much attention to the groups. Thanks again.

That makes sense. I am going to play with the atmosphere/ sky in Enscape and see how far that gets me.

Your model is being lit by the sun at a certain time of day, although you’ve disabled the background , the sun is still there.

You can turn down the sun, but you will still get some light from sky, which will be less directional and not cast shadows like this.

You could change the time of day to the middle of the night to have no light and all - then you could light your kitchen using artificial light