Selection Tool process is slow, unbearably slow

Hi @tfosseli

Did you try rebooting your computer?
According to your profile you have a nVidia graphics card, is this right?
As far as I know this issue mainly affect intel chipsets, if you’re using a nVidia card you can take a look on its official site to see if there is newer drivers for your card.
If you’re using intel or nVidia and you didn’t fix the issue with the previous step, you can try taking a look at the updates history usually inside the option Windows Update, see if there is any update that can match in date with your issue.
If it’s intel you can also try looking for newer drivers on its official site (don’t let Windows look for the more recent ones automaticaly).
If the issue is still there, tell us what graphic card you’re using and operating system because your profile says Windows 8 and 7.

Hi All.

I have the same problem. After reading some contributions I updated both Intel and nVidia drivers to the latest.
Still SketchUp is terribly slow during selection.
I use Windows 10, x64. I checked the update KB4013429 which seamed to be the “bad guy”, but did not find it.

So, I’m still having heavy troubles that lead to impossible use os SketchUp Make.

Any suggestion?

Thanks

HI @feellife

I recommend to make sure you’re using nVidia card for SketchUp through Window > Preferences > OpenGL make sure you’re using. Since when is this happening to you?

Considere using SketchUp 2016 or upgrade to a newer graphics card if it’s possible.

I have an integrated graphics card, just described as "Intel(R) HD graphics). I googled Intel 153343.4425 and downloaded the closest driver I could find from the intel site

This solved the issue for me.

1 Like

I see i need to update my profile… No, I’m now using a lenovo x1 yoga with intel HD graphics. I scrubbed the Intel HD drivers from the computer and downloaded the drivers again from Lenovo’s site. That seems to have done the trick.

I suspect windows might have overruled Lenovos drivers with the official intel drivers. That’s why both windows and Lenovo companion both thought i had the newest drivers.

I think I’m turning of automatic updates for a while.

God ■■■■ you Microsoft! :rage:

Can you check the actual driver file version through the Device Manager ?

@feellife, since you have a laptop, you need to manually choose which graphics option programs use in the NVidia control panel, 3D Settings menu. You want to have the NVidia card selected for SU.

First check what SU is using from inside SU by going to Window > Preferences > OpenGL and clicking on the Detail button. If the Intel chipset is being used, then go to the NVidia control panel to override the default use of the Intel graphics.

2 Likes

What can I do if I just have an Intel graphic card ?

Some users have had success updating the drivers for their Intel GPU. Others have found that they have to step back a driver version or two. You can try those things and see if one of them helps. If not, you’ll need to either replace the GPU or the computer if the GPU can’t be replaced. Or you could go back to SU2016 and let the CPU do the rendering.

I have a question about that, @tfosseli fixed it, but he told me he suffers from the same issue in 2016.
Is there any reason or it’s a coincidence?, because I thought in 2016 intel graphics users don’t suffer from this problem.
Can be due to a low potential of the graphics card? Maybe hardware acceleration disable?

I too have been troubled by the same phenomena in SU, since may 2017 shortly after I upgraded to SU2017. Many times Windows performed an automatic update, the SU selection tool became unbearably slow. Running the Intel Driver Update Tool did re-install the graphics driver and all was good. It is a frustration but it works. Now, October 2017, that no longer works. Now I had to revert to previous Intel graphics driver of 2016 (10.18.10.4425, Intel setup package win64_153343.4425) AND revert Windows security update KB4041676. Only then SU works fine again.

While the problem exist, that is before the described reverting of the driver and windows update, I did run the SketchUp System Checkup tool, and it finds no issue what so ever; all tests are green.

I do hope that Trimble does fix this problem! And does not engage in a pointing game telling Intel is at fault, or Intel HD graphics is not to be used, or Windows is at fault.Of course they are at fault, it is not my problem, they say. :frowning:

Version info: SU pro 17.2.2555 64-bit. CPU: i7-3770K 8GB HD4000 graphics, Windows 10 Pro 1703,

1 Like

The Intel Internal graphics HD4000 is fast and capable enough. When this selection tool problem exist (program freezes for 8-15 seconds), rotating, pan and zoom of a complex model is fast and seamless. During the program freeze, nothing seems to be overloaded; the cpu and gpu are near idle.

I found a solution that worked in a commentary on YouTube:

1. Close the software.
  2. Go to the SketchUp folder e do a right-clink on “SketchUp.exe”. Than go to Properties > Compatibility > Replace the DPI setting (check that box).
  3. Open the software.

I have a Intel HD Graphics 3000 and it worked fine to me.

Hope that helps someone! :slight_smile:

1 Like

It worked for me after upgrading to the latest Intel graphic driver for my integrated Intel(R) HD Graphics 630:

Windows 10 ‘Fall Creators Update’ availabe

Does any of you with the slow selection issue still having the problem after upgrading to the W10 Fall Creators update?

Hi all. Much like the user above. I started experiencing issues towards the earlier part of the year. After some research I found that experimenting with the removal of windows updates would solve the problem.

Again like other users, this only every lasts a number of days or weeks before windows forces a new update and it’s time to do it all again.

I figure if we all keeping posting about the issue maybe Trimble can make enough noise with Intel or Windows or whoever to sort this. As it stands this is just not a feasible solution.

Yes, I have the slow selection issue after installing Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. It was working fine before the update. I have Intel HD Graphics 4000 with the latest version 15.33.45.4653 driver installed.

I am using a Dell with Intel HD graphics 620. I just downloaded a load of updates and am now suffering from the very slow update after selecting any object on screen. It was all working a treat before these updates. I have checked the intel website and the Dell updates were for the latest driver.

I saw help on You tube that said turn of hardware acceleration, but could not find this option with Sketch Up 2017. Hope someone can help me with this as I love using sketchup.

It looks like there is no easy answer to this. I just hope someone can give me a workaround that will sort me out.

Russ