Sefeira says : "The following simulation has failed in EnergyPlus"

Hello!

Very first time using Sefeira and SketchUp, but I needed it for a Finals Project. For some reason, I keep getting this message; “EnergyPlus was not able to complete this simulation. We don’t know why this has happened,” from Sefeira when I run my simulation. I have a deadline coming up, and I am struggling to come up with a solution as to why it won’t run. I tried to turn in tickets, but no one has responded to me. Is it my model or is it something in Sefeira itself.

If someone could help me out, I’d greatly appreciate it.
Trial 15Nov.skp (1.9 MB)

Your model doesn’t adhere the modeling guides for energy analysis:

I was able to get all the floors, walls, roof, shading, glazing and operable glazing identified and selected ASHRAE 2019 but when I upload the info to Sefaira to run the energy plus modeling it gives me a baseline error. One is saying something about a small zone which I ignored. Not sure what else to do.

Edit: I somehow got it to work, but it’s only partial. It gives some data before it says; “An error was encountered. Reason: could not run E+”

@membugtong, as @MikeWayzovski recommended, your model does not follow the Sefaira modeling guidelines. Every energymodel regardless of what software you use requires you to create a simplified version of your project and Sefaira is no different. For example:

• If there needs to be a floor somewhere, Sefaira needs to see a floor
  • If you break the floor into multiple pieces by drawing multiple lines through it, Sefaira will, like any other energy modeling software read the coordinates of the additional vertices and that will add to the complexity of analysis.
  • A good rule of thumb is to only keep in your model that you know is going to be representative of your project and nothing else.

Some things that jump out in your model:

1. Floor is missing

2. This floor designation is for an exterior surface, Sefaira will try to condition any surface tagged as a floor. In essence, you are now conditioning the outdoors here. Second, why add complexity to the energy model by raising the floor here, when it makes no impact on your energy consumption results.

1. A window on the bottom of the floor, multiple windows not intersecting with the wall.

1. Windows on the floor.

1. Floor having multiple lines through it, small window designations on the floor etc.

If I were you, I would redraw this model and follow the Sefaira modeling guidelines. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

I used the guideline, or at least what I could comprehend at this point, and I got this. I’m pretty sure I got all those suggestions. This is my new model. I ran it through Sefaira. This time, it ran all the way through. However, when I looked at the Zone, I noticed that it only registered 21,000ish sqft instead of the model’s 100,000+ sqft. Is it a matter of groupings and components now or did I label things incorrectly in Sefaira?
Trial 17Nov.skp (1.8 MB)

@membugtong I retagged the floors. should be fine now. Total of 204,697 ft2.
Trial 17Nov_fixed.skp (2.1 MB)

2 Likes