Energy Modeling

I use SketchUp and Layout to design and document new homes and remodeling projects and am looking into energy modeling software. I would appreciate learning more about what software is working for others who use SketchUp in a similar manner.

Wow, there hasn’t been an answer to this question (which I also have)? What happened to Open Studio? Why isn’t anyone mentioning it here?

Sefaira is a great building performance modeler - but it depends on what level of energy modeling you are trying to achieve.

https://www.sketchup.com/products/sefaira

I would love the detail of HEED5 with the intuitive modeling interface of Sketchup.

Sefaira may or may not be a great modeler, but there is no quick way to find out. I clicked the link and, without telling me anything about its features, I just got a page asking me to submit a request for a proposal. I filled it in, but I still haven’t seen a response. Very frustrating. No idea what it does, how it does, and how much it is going to cost me.

You should consider removing your contact information from this post. It could be harvested by spammers.

1 Like

Hi @inmci, for additional information about Sefaira, consider checking out this resource: Sefaira - YouTube.

The process for creating energy models in Sefaira involves the following steps:

1. Model Your Project in SketchUp: Refer to the video playlist for specific modeling guidelines tailored to Sefaira.

2. Conversion to Energy Model: Sefaira converts the SketchUp geometry into an Energy Model (.idf file) and a separate Daylight Analysis Model (.rad file) in the background for running energy & daylight analysis with EnergyPlus & Radiance. (All happening in the backend, while you are editing your SketchUp geometry)

3. Energy Analysis Options: You can perform Energy Analysis within SketchUp using the Sefaira plugin. Alternatively, you have the option to upload your SketchUp geometry to the Sefaira Web Application.

4. Detailed Energy Analysis: The Sefaira Web Application allows you to conduct comprehensive energy analyses on your project. This includes comparing different scenarios (e.g., “this vs. that”) to explore the potential outcomes of various design choices.

If you’re particularly interested in exploring results, check out the video playlist mentioned above, especially the “results playlist.”

Hope this helps.

I need to HAVE Sefaira first. That is the problem. THEY have not replied to my request.

It will take a while to filter throw to a sales agent or local reseller
Also, FYI The specs in your profile aren’t enough to run SU 2021 and Sefiara.

Hmmm…I don’t even know where to look to see what my profile specs are, so maybe they are old.