Scaled 3D Model Clad in Stone Slab

I have been trying to figure out how to import an image of a stone slab, scale it, “cut” my pieces from it, and use it to create a 3D model. I want my clients to be able to see what their piece will look like before we physically create it, and then be able to use that to communicate to our fabricators that this is exactly how and where we want these cuts made in order to manufacture the real piece from the 3D model.
I was having some success with two windows open, the first being the 2D slab layout I have been using and the other the 3D model I want to “clad” in the 2D pieces.
The problem I keep running into is I spend so much time trying to rotate the pieces to be applied accurately and I am wasting so much time…
Copa 3D Model

How about importing the image as a texture and applying that to the faces in the component?

Draw a rectangle the same size as your stone image is supposed to cover. Use File>Import to import the image as a texture and apply it to that face. Then you can use the material on the faces inside the table top component.

Here I’m importing a wood grain texture that is 8 feet long. Once it is in the model, it can then be applied as needed.
texture

1 Like

Hi! Thank you for helping… the problem with that is, each stone slab is different. Clients often want to avoid certain parts of the slab, so I need to be able to move the pieces I would “cut” IRL, to another area of the slab and choose that section to apply to the 3D model.
This image shows slab #18, and slab #22. The large portion is the table top, and the edges we would use to make the stone look thicker. The smaller pieces will be cut and assembled into boxes for the legs of the table.
So I couldnt import a texture and just make it bigger, it needs to be exact.

Actually you could do that. IF you apply the texture to the faces in the component you can reposition it to use the parts you want. Make your texture image the exact same size as the piece of stone it came from and then pick and choose the parts of it you want to use.

textures

1 Like

1 Like

LOL!

Does that mean it’ll work for you?

If you haven’t seen them, you might enjoy watching the replay of Episode 6: SketchUp for Woodworking featuring Katie McIlveen as she makes live edge wood tables:

@TheOnlyAaron followed up with a skill builder video on YouTube:

Be aware, as far as I’ve been able to tell, none of the operations of moving any of the pins is subject to the undo command.

2 Likes

I did a blog post showing how to create a live edge slab back in August of 2015, too. :wink:

3 Likes

Dave R, you changed my life.

2 Likes

And, I was able to do it quickly! Which is the best and least frustrating part about it.

Good news.

And it looks like another rare convert to the use of large materials. :wink:

We work with interior designers all the time, they dont create 3D renders or anything, but I would love to learn, this seems like the first step for me. We always have to “photo nest” our stone pieces to match the veins so they flow from one area to the next, like on this table, anytime the surface turns a corner the vein follows it. Not just in furniture, but on countertops, in shower stalls, this is going to be a game changer for me.
Now, I just need to know the best portable device to use SketchUp Pro with. I really want the new iPadPro M1, but not sure if that is the best for this application…

1 Like

Glad this will help.

As for a portable device, my preference would still be some sort of notebook/laptop with a suitable mouse.

SketchUp for Ipad is in public beta stage so it is not quite ready yet.