Scale to precise dimensions

Hi all,
I have what seems to be a basic question but I can’t seem to find a tutorial. I have an existing drawing of some drawers I built for my wife’s Subaru. I want to take the same design, and modify it to fit into my 4Runner. All I really want to do is change my drawer housing from 35x21" to be 40x42.5" I’ve tried using the scale tool, but I have 2 issues.

1. If I do the math with a calculator, then input the ratio of 2.023809523809524, I don’t get a width of 42.5"

2. The sides of my cabinet also thicken with the scale tool. I’m using 5/8" plywood, so obviously I don’t want the width of the side panels to become any thicker, they will remain at 5/8"

I have my drawer grouped. I’ve tried selecting just the bottom panel, but I’m not having any luck.

Any ideas how I do this?

Thanks in advance,
Todd

Hi Todd,

The Scale tool won’t be the right tool for the job in this case. Have you drawn the parts of the box as components or groups? If so, move the parts that need to get moved and either use Move or Push/Pull to adjust the length of those parts that need the “board stretcher”. If you were to share your SKP file, I could show you more definitively how. If you don’t want to share it publicly, you can send it via private message.

A quick example mostly using the Move tool.

The ‘Scale’ tool applied to a selection scales all dimensions in the scaled direction as you have found out.

The ‘Scale’ tool can scale in two was:

• by ratio or
  • to exact dimension(s) if you include the units

Example:

• scale factor 3 triples all dimensions
  • scale (any selection) by 33" makes that direction 33". A box scaled by 33", 46", 2.7’ [Enter] would end up with dimensions 33", 46", 30"

But you’ll need the ‘Move’ tool since the assembly has parts with thickness.
Move the selection (say bottom entities or side entities) to where they need to be.
Use guides as reference.
Don’t use the ‘Scale’ tool