Revit to Sketchup import

Hello, This is a revit model I cant import in SketchUp. Can anyone help me importing it? Thanks a lot!
Here is the link to my drive- TAS-36_Apartment One.rvt - Google Drive

1 Like

SketchUp doesn’t import .rvt files. You need to export it in a SketchUp-compatible format from within Revit. DWG or DAE may be your best options.

1 Like

If you don’t get any help I’ll covert it tomorrow when I get in the office.

1 Like

Occasionally, it would be helpful to me to be able to convert Revit files to a format that SU can import (some manufacturers now only supply CAD drawings in RVT type). If you don’t have a local means of doing the conversion, or a helpful guy like @SeanB, is there any online means of converting?

AFAIK the RVT files is closed system and proprietary, you need a Revit license.

but

I too would like to know of some conversion to SU method…

1 Like

Thanks. A couple of comments.

• This seems like you need Revit to start off with.
  • It’s a $99 plugin. Tough to bite on, but cold be worth it.
  • Licensing looks like it is subscription based? If so, then the $99 will be much less attractive, I don’t do subscription out of principle.

yes, because:

It’s a plugin for use in Revit. Just like Trimble’s export plugin for viewing revit models in Trimble Connect (only that one is free of charge)

Correct. 99/y

Try this… opens fine in AutoCAD but hangs a bit in SU. I gave up on it as the dwg seems to be OK in CAD.
Edit: Here is a SU file.

1 Like

Opens and looks great in Form Z Pro…

1 Like

Revit models exported to IFC or DWG are both problematic. In both, everything consists of unique components/blocks with their origin at the common origin point so the file size is unnecessarily large. Much also depends on the quality of the Revit families used in the model, with the same rules applying as with SketchUp components: Overly detailed models result in polygon bloat. Few families use the very useful Revit model setting where you can adjust the level of detail to the scale used, and, for instance, skip all unnecessary material layers inside walls etc.

2 Likes

Does Form Z open Revit directly, or did you use something in between?

No it doesn’t. I just tried to open the exported dwg from Revit in FZ to see how it behaved there. Honestly, it was a lot smoother in FZ than SU or it was on my PC. Still a massive file to work on.

1 Like

I agree. I probably don’t have the knowledge to properly export a light-weight model from Revit. I just went to 3D view and exported that.

Thank you all for your efforts. I managed to export the file in .ifc format. And that helped opening it in SketchUp.

1 Like

Hey thanks for your effort. :smiley:

1 Like

I hope it helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have become a bit rusty about Revit but if I remember right there are three detail levels (whatever they were named) with the medium or the most coarse ones perhaps being best for export to SketchUp. When using the DWG format you used to have the option to export solid or mesh geometry, and I used to prefer the latter - sometimes SketchUp wouldn’t import the solids.

1 Like