Reversing or flipping a copied and moved object

I’m trying to do a simple woodworking project, a cabinet. I have created the left hand side with dado’s. I copied and moved that over 3’. The dado’s are now on the wrong side of the board. How do I turn it around to mirror the left side?

Did you make the side a component? While it is selected, right click on it and choose Flip Along and then choose the direction. If you are modeling the case correctly, the front of it should be parallel to the red axis so you will want to flip along the component’s red.

Thanks for the quick response. Is Flip Along available in SketchUp for Web? If so how? I just did a search and found no matches. And yes I made it a component.

Yes. It is available in SketchUp for web. My animation was done in SketchUp for Web. Are you right clicking on the copied component? Is the whole thing showing with the blue bounding box as in my example?

You could share your model.

As you can tell, I am a really new newb. I did right click and found Flip Along, so I am going to experiment. I didn’t even know about right clicking once an object was selected.

To help simplify the flipping of components, when you create a component it gets its axis orientation from the model axes. As long as you don’t rotate the component after creating it, you can think in terms of the model axes. In my example, above, I used Move/Copy to move the copy in the red direction so the Flip along direction will be red. If you were modeling table legs and start with the front left, you would flip the front right along the red before copying both of them back in the green direction. After that you would flip those two along the green direction.

Finally did it !!! Thanks. My first project I had a wire frame included and moving and flipping didn’t work for me. After seeing your example, I started over without the wire frame and that’s when what you advised, worked.
BTW, I’m trying to model the upper cabinets in my kitchen, then add a new cabinet on top of those.

How did you have a “wireframe” included?

At least you have it sorted now.

My upper is 11’ 5" wide, 3’ high and 12" deep so I created a rectangle and size it accordingly. Then select each face and delete, which leaves a wire frame. Then I created the left side of the cabinet within the wire frame.
Hope that is what you were wondering.

I understand now what you are doing. Sounds like more work than you really need to do and evidently that added geometry was causing some issues.

I will often use the measurement (tape measure tool) to set several reference points for the overall size of the model. They can easily be removed or placed on a separate tag (layer) to toggle the visibility so they are out of the way when it is needed.

1 Like

Thanks for reminding me. I started this in 2d and used a bazzlion reference points which got in the way. Forgot about them for establishing general dimensions this time. I am going in to establish general points.
Slowly getting the hang of SU.

Guidelines can be very useful and of course they don’t merge with geometry. Once they’ve done their job delete them so you don’t get a lot of clutter. The other thing to consider is that you can move copies of your components with precision by simply entering the move distance.

How does one share a model?

First download it to your computer by clicking on the pancake menu button in the top left corner of the SketchUp window and then “Download”. Then you can drag and drop the .skp file into a forum reply or you can use the Upload button, 8th from the left at the top of the reply window.

How does one get pancakes?

1 Like

Box: The 3 horizontal lines in the upper left hand corner.

I keep trying it but I never get pancakes.

2 Likes

You must be flipping along the wrong axis. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

I thought that was stacked LP’s on the turntable for hours of listening enjoyment.