Resetting page number assignment in Layout

I’ve deleted a few pages in layout, and now every time I add a new page it assigns a number that is not in sequence. i.e. I have pages 1 and 2 - then add a new page and it numbers it 6, so I have to manually change it every time.
Is there a way to reset this number so that pages number in the proper sequence?

You’re referring to the Page Name? If so, you can edit them to be anything you want. If you are using Auto Text the Page Numbers remain sequential even if you delete a page from the stack.

1 Like

In the screen shot you can see that I’ve added a new page and the number sequence jumped to “Page 7”

So the Page Numbers there are 1 and 2. The Page Names are Page 1 and Page 7. You can edit the names to say whatever you want them to say. Looks like your template has a text box for Page Description. You could use AutoText to fill that automatically with the Page Name and type your page description in Page Name in the Pages panel.

Yes. However, I would like it to start with the right number sequence rather than having to edit it each time. I there a way to do that?

Not that I’m aware of. Where do you need the Page Name as a number?

in this screen shot, it should say page 2 of 2

Use the Page Number instead of Page Name in that spot.

ok, I’ll give it a try, but still learning. Thank you for your assistance

1 Like

Here’s a quickie example. The top line shows the way you want to show it while the second line shows what you’ve been doing. In blue you can see the auto text tags I used. For the first row I just added the word “Page” and a space before the PageNumber tag.

2 Likes

Perfect thank you it worked. I have to say though I wish I could see the proper number sequence in the Pages dialogue box to the right. Are you aware of a way to reset this?

1 Like

No I don’t know that there is a way to reset the page names but the page sequence is the numbers on the left not the page names anyway.

1 Like

Understood. Thank you for the clarity.
Have a lovey day.
Diane

2 Likes

Close the file and then reopen it. This will reset the internal used page counter to the number of pages in the document (+1)

1 Like