Reducing File size

When working on projects, I often have large sketchup files in the order of 10-20 mgs. What can I do to reduce the file size?

The first thing would be to go to Model Info>Statistics and click on Purge Unused. this will get rid of unused components, materials, styles, and layers.

If your file is still too large you look at the remaining texture images. If you’ve imported your own textures, make sure the image files aren’t huge. You could reduce the file size of the texture images and replace them. There’s an old extension from Sketchucation that can help with that. I’ll see if I can find it.

If you are getting components from the 3D Warehouse, make sure they are correct before adding them to your model. At this stage you could go through and check them and clean up unneeded geometry. Sometimes components in the 3DWH are created from other file types that use much more geometry than is needed by SketchUp. You could run ThomThom’s CleanUp3 to reduce geometry.

Also, if your models are typically too large, you could have a look at your modeling methods. Are your models overly detailed? Are there details in the model that will never be seen? Get rid of them.

I was looking for purge. Thanks.

I will look to see what I can do, thanks.

1 Like