Recessed Hole Help

Forgive me but this is my first day using SketchUp. I’m trying to make a simple shower door stop. I’ve got it completed except for the hole where the mounting screw goes. The hole itself is one size and there’s a recess at the top of the hole that the larger head of the screw fits in. Could someone point me in the right direction to accomplish this? Thx

We can help you but the exact steps to do what you want depend a lot on the model. Could you upload the SKP file so we can see what you’ve done so far? Ues the 7th button from the left in the row above where you type you message on the forum.

Thx DaveR. I’ve attached the SKP file. Bare in mind this is my very first attempt at this. If you see any other problems feel free to tell me as I need all the help I can get. LOL

shower_stop.skp (1.2 MB)

I see a number of issues. There are reversed faces and nothing solid which is a requirement for printing.

Before going on, what are the dimensions for the counterbored hole? Does the head of the screw go in between the points?

The screw head is 8mm in diameter, screw itself is 4.18mm. Yes it goes in the center of the round boss in the middle of the shower bumper. Do you have any tutorials on designing 3D printed stuff?

I don’t have any specifically on that but there are a number of them out there. Youtube would be a good place to start. Although I can’t do it at the moment, I could do a live demo. We’d have to set up a time.

As for the counterbored hole, draw a circle slightly larger than the head, use Push/Pull to push it down and then in the bottom of the recess, draw a hole for the body of the screw. Push that the rest of the way through.

In order to do that on your model, you would need to explode your components and groups.

Take a look at my version of it.
shower_stop.skp (96.9 KB)

By the way, the blue faces in your screen shot are reversed. All exposed faces should be white.

Your model has some organization peculiarities that will need to be cleaned up to make it printable. It shouldn’t be terribly hard to do so (e.g. just explode everything and then delete duplicates), but to improve your modeling skills it’s worth thinking about why you structured your model that way. For example:

• You have multi-level nested groups that don’t seem necessary. The semantics of multi-level nesting are “a part of a part of a part of…” but it seems like they are all parts of the same overall object. You don’t need to nest groups to keep their geometry from “sticking together”, just creating the groups is sufficient. But equally to the point, if there is ultimately just one part, creating sub-groups isn’t really necessary. If they help you while drawing, that’s fine, but explode them when they are no longer essential.

• You have a component named “shower stop” that overlaps and has some faces in the same places as a separate (unnamed) group. That suggests they are actually segments of the same object. Why are they separate?

shower stop (by the way, the grey/blue faces are the ones @DaveR noted are reversed) :

group:

• Within these group and component “containers” you have mixtures of loose and grouped geometry. Again, why? That is, if you grouped one thing to manage “stickiness”, why leave some of the rest loose? Either they are all aspects of the same part, or they are separate parts.

Thx guys for all the help. I’ll take a look at your example DaveR that should be a great help.

slbaumgartner thx for your suggestions. As I stated this is my very first day trying to use SketchUp so I’ve got a lot to learn. With you guys help maybe I can get more proficient at it. Thx for your input and I’ll try to get it all ironed out.

Lrry

This is a follow up with another question. I think I’ve pretty much got the hang of most of the concept now but I’ve run into another problem. I’m attaching 2 pics and my SKP file also. The first photo with the arrows shows 4 corners that needs to be erased so I can make everything solid. The problem is that when I go to select any one of the corners it highlights all the way to the inside of the hole as you can see in the second pic. I’ve struggled with this all day and can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thx

shower_stop.skp (1.2 MB)

The problem is that the line you have drawn doesn’t actually cut through the curved surface.
So as you see here I create a face to intersect with the curved face and then it is removable.

Just looked again in a 3d printing sense and realised you probably wanted to make a face over those holes. You kill two birds with one stone this way.
Note that I’m holding ctrl with the eraser tool to only soften the edges on the face rather than remove them. They need to be there to form the bent face.

Thx Box that worked like a charm. I’ve tucked this away for later reference. :smiley:

One more question. what program do you use to capture the screen shots like you attached? Thx again

There are several screen grab apps that save to gif, licecap, gifcam, screenpresso to name just 3.
Each have their own idiosyncrasies.

Tracing a heart pic for 3d printing

Thx Box

Windows, since XP, comes with Snipping Tool that is quite ok for simple screen stills. The result can be directly pasted into forum posts.

Very true Anssi, but as LTH had already successfully posted screenshots, i suspect they were asking about gifs.

I have not tried any of the ones @Box refers to; just thought I’d mention that I use screen2gif, and am happy with it. http://www.screentogif.com/

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.