Random Crashes in SketchUp Pro 2023

We updated to 2023 and started experiencing random crashes in dense files when switching between scenes. This is only happening on our older machines. I am posting the build info for the machines that are acting up as well as the one that 2023 works on.

2023 Crashing on these
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044
BOXX Technologies, Inc APEXX 2 2402
Intel(R) Core™ i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz, 4001 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
American Megatrends Inc. P1.30
ASRock Z170M Extreme4
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Adapter RAM 6gb
Driver Version 31.0.15.1694

2023 Works on this Build
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro10.0.19044 Build 19044
AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor, 3401 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s)
American Megatrends Inc. 3003,
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. Pro WS X570-ACE
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 64.0 GB
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
Adapter RAM 24GB
Driver Version 31.0.15.1694

I am trying to figure out what could be the cause. The same file works on all machines in 2022. My first guess is a video card issue given the age of the cards in the machines that are crashing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.

I can see three bugsplats sent in from your company, and they were all from SketchUp 2023.0. Can you try updating to 2023.0.1?

The downloads page has been updated to give you that version:

We tried that today on the machines that were crashing. It continues to do so. At this point we are going to go back to 2022 on those machines until the instability is worked out.

Hi there. I have been getting regular crashes while performing various tasks. The latest one was just a few minutes ago while accessing the colors tab.
On reopening the file I’m not able to access the tabs for Model, Entity, Materials, Tags nor Shadows.

Please advise.

Timothy

Have you been getting Bug Splat reports? If so have you been sending them in with something to identify they came from you?

I have been getting the Bug Splats.
I have only forwarded 2 of them.

Regards
Timothy

With your e-mail address? Maybe @colin can look them up and give you an idea of what is causing them.

I see that you’ve sent in five bugsplats since August, and they all were the same type of crash. I’m not sure what causes the crash, but it seems to be after quite a while of doing other things. It would be useful if a crash happened soon after doing a save, and when you did a particular action. That might make the issue be easier to reproduce.

As you have a subscription, you could try using SketchUp 2023, and see if that works with less crashes.

I’ll try that.

Timothy