Raised Seam Roof Materials

Hello. In a previous model (using the free web version) I used charcoal gray metal roofing and dark gray siding from my materials listing. I’m honestly not sure how they got there, but both remain in the listing today, for that model.

In a new model, I go to Materials > Roofing and there is a raised seam metal roof option, but it’s red and I can’t seem to figure out how to change the color to dark gray. The same is true for the siding. Am I missing something?
Thanks!

In the Free version of SketchUp for Web there is no option to edit materials. You can add materials in a specific model by importing something from the 3D Warehouse that has those materials. Very likely that’s what you did in the model you refer to.

SketchUp Shop does give you the ability to edit materials.You can also import images to use as new textures in your models with SketchUp Shop.

Thanks, Dave. I’ve used some objects from the 3d warehouse, but they seem to isolated and difficult to apply to an entire roof, for instance. Are you saying that it possible to import an object and use its material like you would any other with the paint tool?

I may just have to get the Shop product.

Once the Warehouse component is in the model, you will see its materials in the In Model materials collection. Click on the house icon in the Materials panel to see them. Then you can select them like you can any other textures/materials. The screenshot shows the In Model materials in the file I currently have open. Most come from the figure in the template. The last one is an image I imported (in SU Shop)
Screenshot%20-%2010_8_2019%20%2C%2010_15_26%20AM

Keep in mind that you can’t create your own collections of materials in the web-based versions like you can in the desktop version. So if you want to use a texture more than once, you’ll either want to keep a copy of the component containing that material or keep a collection of images you can use when needed.

FWIW, if you are using it for some work related project, you would need Shop or Pro anyway. And depending on what you are using the models for, you may find you need other additional features they offer.

Very helpful, thanks. I was able to grab a roof component from the warehouse and saw the roof color options in the materials, so that worked well. Now I’m trying to repeat it with siding and I’m not seeing any siding materials options appear in the materials list after adding it to the model. The 3d warehouse crashes when I move from search to the home tab, fwiw.

I have also upgraded to Shop, but it seems something is weird. My account says I’ve upgraded, but when I try to edit a material, it asks me to upgrade and Shop is one of the available options. Using Shop, I should be able to change the color of a material, correct?

Sign out and quit out of SketchUp. Save your work, first. Then sign back in. It should show you are using Shop then.

Yes. Select the In Model material and click on the pencil icon.
Screenshot%20-%2010_8_2019%20%2C%2011_16_29%20AM

Click on the color swatch to open the color panel.

Drag the circle around or type a hex code or switch to RGB and type the RGB vaules.

Click on Done after you’ve made the changes.

Got it. There is something wrong with my account and I’ve contacted support. I seem to be stuck in the free version, despite restarting, clearing my cache, different browsers, etc. I appreciate the help!

Did you sign out of SketchUp? That’s done by clicking on the hamburger menu at the top left corner and then clicking on Account.

Yep, I’ve tried everything I know to do, multiple times and every time I try to edit a material, it asks me to upgrade. I’ve also never seen any indication, inside the model tool, that I’m on the shop plan, if that matters.

Have you gone to your Trimble Connect account directly at https://connect.trimble.com/

Yes, I tried that too. No dice.
Just to make sure I understand how it’s supposed to work. Previously, you said:

Once the Warehouse component is in the model, you will see its materials in the In Model materials collection. Click on the house icon in the Materials panel to see them. Then you can select them like you can any other textures/materials.

I found a siding component in the 3d warehouse and added it to my model. It is now present in my project and I can change it’s color, etc. I believe that material (or maybe texture) should appear in the Materials list (under house icon), correct?

I’m not seeing that happen. The siding material is not appearing in the list. Though, I do see the other materials from the project.

The materials in the model you downloaded from the Warehouse should show in the In Model materials which are displayed when you click on the house icon. Like so:

And here I selected the shingles texture and gave Helen and asphalt shirt. Which I’m sure she appreciates. :slight_smile:

Are you not seeing that?

1 Like

OK, I see that now. I grabbed one of those pallets with siding colors and put it on in my project and it showed up in the materials field. So that’s a problem solved! I will work with support on getting my Shop account working properly. I still can’t edit materials. I have what I need for now. Thanks for all your help!

1 Like