Question for the masters

Ok, maybe your example is too complexe to I understand everything into, sorry :slight_smile:
Then I just upload a basic example on how OpenCutList manage edge band :

opencutlist_edge_band_simple_example.skp (40,1 Ko)

yeah i know how it works.
your component is made of entities and faces. than you manually apply colour of edge needed or from the extention . I admit its very neet.
my component (panel) is made of group (body of component) and edges components.
as my projects get quite large i haveto set the materials as first to global just to make sure that i could change whole lot of furniture material selected in case the customer want to change it. its easy.
My edges are components not just faces. therefor i supose it will not work. if you find the way i will be more than happy.
thanks again

Thanks for you time and reply.

i haveto set the materials as first to global

It’s not a problem for OCL. It reads material on instance itself first, but if not defined check children group or faces and after parent in entity path.

My edges are components not just faces. therefor i supose it will not work.

Yes in this cas it won’t be considered as edge band by OCL.

Really appreciate your look at my problem .
I would recommend your extension to everyone that needs cutlist generator and material counter.
To bring your plugin to perfection more features could be implemented. And so…
#1 - Counting the hardwear components
#2 - counting the profile components
Because these are part of projects too.
Thanks again . all the best

I would recommend your extension to everyone that needs cutlist generator and material counter.

Thank you !

#1 - Counting the hardwear components

By attributing diffrent material to each hardware component, OCL cans “count” them in a not so bad way :slight_smile:. Even if it can be improved.

counting the profile components

Sorry for this supid question, but what is “profile components” for you ?

Have a nice day @pupoksveta

By profile component I mean material that has fixed lenY and LenZ but lenX Is changing. Most of them are made of aluminium or metal.
So if you buy them from retailer you get let say strips of lengths 3 meters (Example). Than you have to cut it to sizes you need.

Ok, OpenCutList can manage it as dimensional parts. It’s a kind of part where section(width and thickness) are fixed and length may vary.

Configured with material of type Dimensional :

And in the next release you even will be able to compute cutting diagram of it :

Sample file :
opencutlist_edge_band_simple_example.skp (52,6 Ko)

3 Likes

@boris.beaulant Thank you for the plugin. Is it possible to feedback OCL with a component? Is it possible to automatically write at the beginning of the instance name No. that the OCL generates? I displayed it in the picture), I hope you will understand).

It’s an idea. But if OpenCutList feel the every instance name with the generated part letter, it will display them in the part list too. Like you see the “(A)P2” instance name in you screenshot. And on a large model it may show a long list :slight_smile:

@KScher I see that you use the current 1.9.0 DEV release translated in russian, isn’t it ?

Unfortunately … I probably hastened to ask, sorry. I looked at the report output and realized that there would be confusion. Maybe then the assignment of a separate attribute? But then this function will be available only to users of the PRO version (LayOut).
I will try to explain to you what I need. It is very important for me to determine whether a component belongs to a particular product. After slicing the plates, I sort them by products. The presence in the name of the component of the product name will allow faster identification of the part. For example, an AAA product consists of boards A, B, C, D … Maybe you already know how this can be implemented using your plug-in?
Yes, I follow the development of your plugin). There are several inaccuracies in the translation into Russian. Although, I am from Ukraine and I do not need Russian enough English.

As you can see, part number (or letter according settings) are autoincremented values. But you can change the order of your list and sort part not on length DESC, but on description (name) ASC.
And if you place product destination in part name (ex : module1.part1, module1.part2, module2.part1, …) in this case, you know that between A to X it’s a part of module1 and from X to XX, a part of module2.
Is this what you want ?

Yes, I follow the development of your plugin

Cool

Yes, I follow the development of your plugin). There are several inaccuracies in the translation into Russian.

Can you report inaccuracies at opencutlist@lairdubois.fr, please ?

Sorry me, I confused myself and you. Now I understand what I can do.
I forgot that OCL reads the “Name” attribute. I just programmed and connected this attribute with the name of the top-level component and everything worked out.
But, now I need even more a method of transmitting the letter designation for the instance name. This will make it easier for me to identify parts in drawings and lists. Maybe you consider the option of automatically transferring the part number to the instance name?
1opencutlist_edge_band_simple_example.skp (63.5 КБ)

I will send you my notes.

Yes nice to use computed “name” attribute.

It’s not impossible, but what if instance already have a name ? And in some conditions, the name could be quickly outdated.

Your goal is to have the drawing with all part pointed by a label with part number generated by OCL, is it what you want ?
May be in a future release :slight_smile: … but we need more financial contributors to be able to take the time to develop this kind of feature with a truely printable solution. With ou without PRO version.
I think that labels is not the best solution for that.

1 Like

Yes. Something similar is implemented in the plugin of Vietnamese developers ABF solutions https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJ12TinN68

Yes, I know the impressive feature of ABF Solution. But I’m not a realy big fan of the solution to place this kind of data into the scene itself.
The best way would be to create a Layout output. But what about Sketchup Make … the other best solution would be to extract current view as SVG and then use it in OCL directly … but I don’t find how :slight_smile:

I remembered the @TIG Add Height from Datum plugin https://sketchucation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=22851
It seems to me that the best option would be the OCL function to create and write to the component a separate attribute with the part number, which is updated and overwritten.
For users of the PRO version, it will be possible to select a label in the Layout through the list of attributes, and for Sketchup Make - directly in the scene (as shown in the plugin). Thanks.

It’s an idea !

But, i’m not sure that we can put customized attributes in Layout labels, no ?

Layout has a selection of assigned attributes. But I don’t know Ruby to tell you exactly how the attribute should be created for the correct display. Maybe someone on the forum will tell?
I uploaded a photo. It shows that I just assigned the “A” attribute (text) to the Door component. Then I opened the file in Layout and when adding a label I have a choice.

Ok, I discover that DC attributes can be used in Layout.

But this is not as easy at it seems to be.
One definition can represent multiple parts in cut list with different numbers. Because of scale, and flip.