Question for the masters

Hi ,
I was wondering if anyone ever thought about having count of sheets of MDF or chip boards by dynamic formulas. Sort of cutlist diagram without a need for cut plan diagram just count the sheets needed for parts used in projects. There is an cutting algorithm needed for this which I can’t find any examples.
I just need some pricing output based on number of needed sheets. Usually there is only square meters pricing but that is not responding to real cost of material needed.
So I thought I try to ask sketchup gurus.
@pcmoor @MikeWayzovski @DanRathbun
If you have a time to think of anything please help me figure out some “easy” way to achieve this.

Never used DC’s for that, common sense and add one sheet always did it for me :slight_smile:
I once had to build eleven pedestals for maquette’s, all different, except for the height. They had to be made from oak veneer on built up (furniture) boards.
One of the assistants of the architect’s office spent two days figuring out how many sheets it would take on a CAD machine,
I just bought 12 sheets and cut them in half (pedestals were all about 110cm high.

If you have a table saw, sort by width, if you have a CNC, you might have more possibilities.

Thanks @MikeWayzovski.
I sought your project info for reporting and want to do the same sort of thing for pricing the project. It would need just the number of sheets to write there.
Well my projects easily count up to 100 to 1000 parts just for chipboard material. To do it manually my children would probably grow old greybearded smelling after beer by the time I am done. :grin:
I was thinking of cut map plugin but it’s not working in su2019. That seemed exactly what I needed.
Cutlist doesn’t support sheet sizes that we use here in Slovakia which is 2800x2070. It is very limited.
Open cutlist doesn’t really work for me.
Maybe someone would create a plugin for me.
Because ruby is far too complicated far me to understand.

You could try this:
https://www.cutlistoptimizer.com/
You can upload a list (.csv) from the generate report.
Check this file (It has a saved report in it)

Panels.skp (212.0 KB)

Upload the csv:

2 Likes

Interesting thank you. I will check it out.

Je pense que OpenCutList peut le faire …

2 Likes

@MikeWayzovski I was unable to import the file since it was created on newer verzion of sketchup. could you try to save it in 2019 please?

hyg:
Panels_v2019.skp (218.3 KB)

Thanks

Hi,

As @bharralure49 said, yes you can do this with OpenCutList extension directly in Sketchup, without any external tool.

Of course, you have to configure sheet size on the material (ex: 2000 x 1800). But after that, you can generate cutting diagram in one click.

2 Likes

Do you know a solution for a Stromab CT600?

No, what a Stromab CT600 need as input data ?

A cutlist :slight_smile: .txt file, but I can’t find an example.

Something like a CSV file ?
If yes, OpenCutList can do it to.

1 Like

I will check it more closely.
Two more questions.
Is your extension working with DC’s without need of exploding cabinet to just parts?
Is it possible to count edge banding too? There is more questions but I have to play with the extension little more.
I would really appreciate Any help of yours after.
Thank you

Yes, play with. It does all of what you want but I can’t promise that it does it in the first click with your model.
OpenCutList treat DC as normal component.
And can read edge banding, yes. If they are correctly configured.

https://translate.google.fr/translate?hl=&sl=fr&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.lairdubois.fr%2Fblog%2F140-opencutlist-1-8-0-les-bandes-de-chants-et-plus-encore.html

Hi boris , I had a look and played with the extension. It is working very well . Materials are sorted. But the edge banding is doing me head.
How my dc of part works is …
It’s made of nested group (body) and components edges. This way a can manipulate the colour of the edge banding from options dialog box. So if I want it to be a colour of carcase or front or no edge applied I just choose it there.
The edgebanding is unique component within parent part that is needed to be cutlisted and counted the edges. But …
I don’t manage to make it working. Do you have any idea of a possible way?
Thanks

@pupoksveta
Main sheet material :
The component must be painted with the sheet material. Be careful not to paint inside the component, but apply the material only on the components.
( In case materials as been applied inside the component, you should start to paint with default material on faces inside this component. And then apply sheet material on the component. )

Edges band material : You must now open the component and paint the edges with the edge band material.

Edges band have no thickness in the component. Thickness is defined in the settings.

Sheet and edges are a single component

1 Like

Hi @pupoksveta, could you share a simple *.skp file of your component structure ?
It will be easier to answer you :slight_smile:

Hi @boris.beaulant , i have tried to put little description to panel description attr.
sorry did not have any simplier component . all of my components need to be placed within global component. texture changing depends on texture holding components outside of global.
dont mind that and just click your way to the piece itself. there is that little description. couldnt translate all to english (sorry for that) , no time and it would take longer to describe it all properly.

simple piece.skp (7.3 MB)

thanks again hope you dont find it too messy. (it just seem so but no) :grin: