Push Pull to make contour lines/elevation

Hello @s.ztaylor,

First let me welcome you to the Forum, but secondly, I want to advise you that most of the respondents in this community only desire to be helpful, so your comment (quoted above) is uncalled for. Several SketchUp Sages suggested that you post the actual file in order to obtain meaningful recommendations to resolve your issue, and you took umbrage at the response for some reason. It seems perfectly logical to ask for the original skp file so that an analysis may be performed for your benefit. If you are not permitted to submit the file on the open forum for any reason, the option remains for submittal via a Private Message to any individual with whom you are comfortable.

The SU Forum insists on being a place for civilized discussion and to that end I refer you to the following boldfaced link referencing the Forum Guidelines. Please take the time to review these and incorporate the recommended etiquette in your posts in the future.

10 hours later, after working on this all day and recently looking back on posts I clicked the link from john and saw dynascape’s video pertaining to sketchup. The solution was to trace the area in sketchup and then select the contoured sections with the push/pull tool. All worked out in the end. Thank you to all who contributed.

Regarding model sharing, it can be a very sensitive issue - one work around is to make a test model - very simple which also reproduces the same issue - then share that. It can save a lot of confusion and really get to the problem quickly.

I also try to draw a wall with push/pull and seem it doesn t work,I have unblocked the face I want to push and pull and still nothing happens.I can select the specific rectangle but it happens nothing with the p/p tool, Have anybody any idea?

Hard to tell you what to change without seeing the SketchUp file. Upload it so we can see it and help you.

stairs.skp (402.5 KB)
I want to p/ the rectangul witch is with W1 markiert, thank you

In the model you shared, I can’t figure out where the image was taken or what face the W1 label is pointing at. Did you turn off some layers to take that image? The layers panel is clipped off in the image, so I can’t be sure. Maybe a wider image to give context would help.

I can tell you that you aren’t using SketchUp layers appropriately. You have numerous edges and faces using layers other than Layer0, and that may be perhaps contributing to your problem. Edges and faces should always use Layer0; only component instances and groups should use other layers.

Also, is this a toy house? If not, you are drawing it at an awfully small scale - it’s about 1.4m square. In SketchUp you should always draw at full size. You can always zoom the view in SketchUp or use a scaled viewport in Layout if you want some aspect of the model to fill the view.

1 Like

Thanks for your reply.In the guidlines that we re given for this project we were told to make a new layer for every part of the house,for example seperate layer for the floor, columns,etc.Additionally in my sketchup file the columns are 50X50cm und so we were told to draw them.So I think for the project the scale would be ok.After your replay I search a little bit myself and I figured out that it was locked,but it was not seen in entity infos.I am new in sketschup so learning by doing methode sometimes helps.Thank you anyway for your time.

Those are legitimate guidelines provided you interpret them correctly in the context of SketchUp. But SketchUp’s layers do not behave like layers in many other apps. I have no way to know whether the person who set the guidelines understood this or if you do, but the model you posted shows bad practices in SketchUp that are likely to cause issues.

SketchUp layers are merely visibility tags that can be referred to by multiple objects at the same time. They don’t own or restrict objects in any other way. In particular, they have no effect on how SketchUp causes edges and faces to interact wherever they touch or intersect. It can be very confusing when an edge is non-visible due to the layer it uses but it still breaks a visible edge or face, or a non-visible face is distorted because you moved an edge that uses a visible layer. The best practice to avoid confusion is to leave all edges and faces on layer0 at all times.

To prevent interaction you must isolate the edges and faces into groups or components. You can then make the group or component instance use a layer for visibility control. Having done so, there is no need to assign other layers to the original edges and faces. If the layer used by the container (group or component) is non-visible, the contents will also be non-visible regardless of what layers they use.

2 Likes

Thanks for the Reply.I think the reason for more layers was that we could kontrol the hole plan at the end,and that’s why he suggest us after every step to make groups and sometimes lock them. I did have issues with schades but I don’t know if they are from the layers or my computers dynamic is not enough for drawing.

Basically your answer just goes to explain that whoever is in charge doesn’t understand how layers work in Sketchup.
Not your fault, but …

This post illustrates the convoluted structuring of most drawing software in comparison to the simplicity of SU.