Problem with the selection of faces

Hi !

I have a problem with sketchup pro 2024.
on some of my files, the selection tool (push pull for example) does not work correctly.
if I pass the push pull tool over a face, it is not highlighted, and the tool select another face (behind).
generally, it goes with a display faces issue (cf image attached).

I tried cleaning the files with CleanUp3, without success.

any idea ?

Thanks in advance !

Something in your model far away from origin.

Your model seems to be placed very far from the SketchUp model origin.

Thanks both of you for your answers.
I know this issue, but it’s not the problem here.
The origin is at the corner of the house.

Do you have another idea ?

Thanks a lot !

Is the face in a group or component? If you share the model we won’t have to guess.

Hi !
thanks for your answer.
the faces are in groups or components, yes.
Here is a link to download the model.
I put a note on one problematic group (but there is a lot !). It would be good to know if the problem exist on your computer too (I have 2 computer, I have the issue on the both).
Thanks !

You have a lot of sub-groups and sub-sub-groups, etc.

You need to double click more than once to eventually get to the face that you want to pull or push.

Also, you present the model with profiles set to a width of 1. This makes them very difficult to distinguish from edges.

And, you set all edges colour to bue which make it difficult to distinguish selected geometry that also shows in blue.

May I suggest that you create a style for editing that allows a more efficient rendering. Then, create a scene that you can name “Editing” or whatever suits you. Then, create any number of styles that you want for rendering with the corresponding scenes to be able to switch from a nice re=ndering to an editing rendering.

Thanks for your answer.
I do have editing scenes (for example Wi).
The blue scenes are only for render.

I agree the structure is pretty complicated and should be simpler.
But do you think it can be the source of the problem ?
I have a lot of models of much more complicated projects without this problem.

About the profiles, I don’t understand what you mean ? Why would it be good to distinguish them from edges ?

Thanks again !

There’s no problem. You just haven’t drilled down far enough to access the raw face geometry. This is due to you nesting groups, but it’s not a problem with the software which is acting as directed.

Restating what’s already been written, pushpull only works on faces, and you can select or modify faces only in the currently active edit context: model, group or component. You have to drill down through the nested groups until you open the one that contains the desired face.

Thanks !
but I know that : I have been using sketchup daily for years. I know how to use pushpull, groups and components.
The problem is : when I am in the group (or component), the pushpull tool select the wrong face, generally the face behind the face I want to select. And the face I try to select is not highlighted as it should be. I am really really sure it’s a bug, and I was wondering if anyone has seen this bug before.

The jaggies/artifacts in your screenshot point to a model extents problem. Erratic selection is one of the problems it causes. Is your camera set to Parallel projection? In that case, the camera itself may be located at a great distance from the model without you noticing. Switching to Perspective and back might correct that.

1 Like

It does appear to be, with the verticals all perfectly upright.