Problem with dimension lines and label

I have been using Sketchup Make 2016 for a while. I dimension most lines in almost all my drawings and you can clearly see the dimensions on screen and when printed. I am now using Sketchup Pro 2020 and when I dimension things it looks fine on the screen but when I print the drawing the dimension comes out so small they are almost unreadable. I have to set the font size to 24 points for it to be readable when printed. This also happens when I load a drawing made from Make 2016 into Pro 2020. Is there some setting I need to change? This only affect the dimension and the text tool.

You change the settings in Model Info in an empty model. Then add any styles you want, materials you often use, and setup some oft used scenes (using certain styles for what the scene will be used for, ie, printing, modeling, image export, etc.)

Then you save the empty model as a custom template. Then start your new models using this template.

1 Like

It is not a matter of style or making a custom template, which I have made already. It is that I have to select an enormously large font in order to see the numbers when printed. The things I draw are 3 to 5 feet tall and 2 to 4 feet wide. On screen the numbers for dimensions are large, 24 point font. When printed the number are very small. This is not the way previous versions of sketchup worked for me.

Try setting the dimension text size to Height (model size) instead of Points (screen size)

Model Info > Dimensions > Fonts > Size > Height

1 Like

It has always been this way for text in model space. Even in AutoCAD.

As Geo shows for text in model space you have to set a height in model units not in paper space units.

This is also why it is generally preferable to put dimensions in paper space (which for SketchUp is in LayOut instead of within the SketchUp model proper.)

I have never had to make that selection before but that did the trick. Thank you.

1 Like