Problem filling a plane. Drew with pencil over an imported jpeg

This is an iron shelf bracket. I imported the photos and drew over them. Selected the outline and copy/pasted it. Rotated one drawing 108 degrees and joined to make the bracket. At no point along the way was I able to fill/paint the plane. It appears to the eye to be fully joined and lines/curves in the same plane. Can you download the drawing and try to find the problem?
shelf bracket.skp (5.1 MB)

Thanks a lot.

Well, here’s a problem straight off.

You have multiple lines and there are probably other similar drafting errors. All the lines in a given plane have to be coplanar to form a surface.

It can help to start something like this with a pre-drawn surface bigger than your item and then draw your lines onto that before removing outer parts you no longer need. That keeps lines coplanar.

Is this what you wanted? shelf bracket.skp (5.1 MB)

Thank you. Could not open that in sketchup pro 2019. Had to open it on sketchup web version. In your file I am able to paint, but not able to push/pull which is the only way to modify this with all the curves.
I went back to my original 2019 file that I uploaded here and fixed the error you highlighted. It did not fix anything for me. What else did you find that enabled you to at least paint the bracket? I did not expect the fix to do anything for me actually since prior to rotating one of the two drawings shown and joining them I was having the same issue with two separate parts. The misalignment you pointed out was in joining them, but both planes on their own appear to be intact and drawn in the same plane.

It can help to start something like this with a pre-drawn surface bigger than your item and then draw your lines onto that before removing outer parts you no longer need. That keeps lines coplanar.

Could you explain that a little more? Or point me to a tutorial? The actual jpegs that you see on the drawing were almost 30ft long. I hadn’t realized that until it was necessary to resize my finished bracket down to 10 inches.

…before removing outer parts you no longer need. That keeps lines coplanar.
This part especially. I can’t picture what you mean.
The method you describe would necessarily include lines that would require removal after drawing? How so?

Ah wait a sec. You mean draw a large square “platform” that sketchup autofills, and then draw my lines onto it? Doesn’t the blue line bordered jpeg that shows up when importing it accomplish the same thing? If not, how do i make the jpeg and the autofilled square “platform” coplanar?

well, this just keeps getting more frustrating. maybe part of the problem is that I originally drew this on sketchup web before importing it to my 2019 pro.
I went to my original and followed my thoughts from above. I drew a predrawn surface bigger than the jpeg drawing of the bracket. When I aligned the jpeg with the plane of the predrawn surface the photo entirely disappeared. When I rotated to the reverse side of the predrawn surface the photo reappeared in mirror image but I was unable to do any drawing on it at all.

Instead of creating a predawn platform you could insert your picture as an Image, so that it’s at its natural size, then explode it. That will give you the platform to draw into, and it will still be showing the image.