Pro exporting to DWG not to be used for "commercial or professional purposes"?

I am using Sketchup Pro 2019.2.222 fully paid for and on active support.
I sometimes need to export to DWG for others to use information from my models. This appears to work OK.
Usually, I verify the information in the DWG, by opening the result using Autodesk DWG TrueView 2019 (this is free downloadable software).
Then these dialogs pops up in succession:
The content in the DWG file is then displayed correctly.
I have not really thought much about this until now, but may be it is time to ask someone…

My question is:
Why do Sketchup’s exporter claim to be a “student version”, and why does is say that
the produced drawing must not be used for commercial of professional purposes???
Surely results from a licensed Pro can be used for “commercial of professional purposes”?

See:

Thanks a lot for replying.

The same thread claims this is already fixed? But I am using the very latest version?

Hi JoNoS, this is interesting and I am investigating now.
Trent

Just for the record, when I export to DWG I do this from the Layout application. But I guess you already understood this :slight_smile:

Sure, but thanks for the clarity. The issue would show up in both LayOut and SketchUp exporting to dwg.

Trent

Hi JoNoS, I am seeing some strange behavior and I am curious to know if you see the same.

Using DWG TrueView 2020 I had seen the “Student Version” error and the “Foreign DWG” you described with the 19.2.222 initially. The “Foreign DWG” is expected as Autodesk stamps their files with a genuine Acad stamp but the library we use (and others use) we cannot authenticate the same way.

The strange thing is that I do not see the “Student Version” any longer when opening the same 19.2.222 file twice and any subsequent exported files I do not get the “Student Version” warning. Printing these file (pdf or hard copy) also do not show the “Student” stamp.

Also any 19.2.222 or 19.2.221 (Mac) file I open in AutoCad I have not seen the Student error.

Are you still seeing the message in TrueView?

Trent

Good to see this is being investigated.

For the record: I am on a PC (not MAC).

Printing the DWG files (from TrueView) which I have generated using Layout shows the text “PRODUCED BY AN AUTODESK STUDENT VERSION” on the print.

I am not sure I follow you when you speak of opening the 19.2.222 file twice…
Every time I open a generated DWG file (using TrueView) I get the mentioned warnings and every time I print I get the same informational text on the printout.

open in True View and then ‘save’, open the new copy…

does it have the stamp?

john

I believed TrueView was a viewer, i.e. it cannot save…
At least I cannot see how to save from it…

AutoDesk says…

TrueView 2015 and higher, and by just saving the respective DWG file (Ctrl+S)

I don’t use it

john

Ctrl+S does nothing on my machine (in the context of TrueView, that is).
But thanks for the suggestion anyway :slight_smile:
I am really a litte surprised that this issue has not been flagged more.
I know trent is looking into it now, so I believe it is in good hands…

Thanks JoNoS for sending the sample file.

Could you do me a favor?
Could you let me know the date of the files labeled TD_…*.dll in your c:\Program Files\SketchUp\SketchUp 2019\LayOut folder?

When you installed the latest version of SketchUp and LayOut did you right click on the installer and choose Run as administrator?

I thought I did… but maybe I did not…
Anyway, I reinstalled Sketchup 2019.2 as administrator using Repair, and the dates of the Layout files are now much changed.
Also, when opening the DWG files I do not anymore get the STUDENT VERSION warning.
So it appears this did solve this particular issue.

Thanks to all.

A thought, however, it appears that it is (too) easy to forget to install Sketchup as administrator, so would it be possible for the Sketchup installer to check for this when installing and thus warn the user??

I seem to remember that this was an issue with the initial release of SketchUp 2019.

Awesome thanks … yes… those are not the correct .dll’s they are the .dll’s from 2019.0 that had the student version issue.

It looks like we have an issue when users upgrade from SU2019.0 to 2019.2. We made the fix in 2019.1 to accommodate the fix so upgrading from 2019.0 to 2019.1 you would get the correct .dll’s.

The work around for this is to uninstall SketchUp 2019.2 and reinstall 2019.2. I have verified that you will get the correct .dll’s at that point.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Trent

Hmmm… Interesting. I seem to remember that I upgraded directly from 2019.0 to 2019.2 (I never got around to install 2019.1 for lack of time or some other cause).

Anyway, thanks again to all helping out.