Printing on paper to scale

how do you print a 2d view of your model to scale 1:1 on a paper printer
please help

Which version of SketchUp are you using? Your profile is confusing. It says “SketchUp Make (Desktop)” and “pro21”. Since you’ve posted in the LayOut category I’ll give you guidance for using LayOut.

First, in SketchUp set up a view of your model with the appropriate standard view and the camera set to Parallel Projection. Create a scene for that view so you can come back to it when needed. Save the file. Send to LayOut. With the viewport selected, go to the SketchUp Model panel in the tray on the right side in LayOut and choose the scale. If needed, drag the edges of the viewport to show as much of the model as you need. Also if you choose too large of a scale for the paper, go to File>Document Setup>Paper and choose the right size sheet.

You can print directly from LO but it’s probably better to export as PDF and print from Acrobat. Export is in the File menu.

Likely you would benefit from going through the LayOut Essentials at learn.sketchup.com

BTW, please fix your profile so it reads correctly.

Hi Dave thank you for coming back to me

I subscribed to sketchup21 about a month ago and still battling a bit

I cannot see Layout on my Send to list let me change that and let you know

Thank you

Gianni

You should see Send to LayOut in the File menu.
Screenshot - 2_24_2021 , 7_59_39 AM

Oooppps

Sorry missed that

I thought it Windows send to

I actually tried to copy the specific item ( I had a couple in SU) and pasted it in Layout

And adjusted the scale on the bottom right to 100%

Was that the right thing to do?

Don’t copy from SketchUp to paste in LayOut. This will create problems for you.

No. Set the scale in the SketchUp Model panel as I wrote above. Again, create a scene in SketchUp for the view. Select that scene in the SketchUp Model panel in LayOut, set the scale in the SketchUp Model panel in LayOut.

Screenshot - 2_24_2021 , 8_26_56 AM

Thank you, appreciated

Good morning Dave

I did come right with the printing 1:1 thank you

Another question now

Is it possible to measure the diameter of a circumference e without using the tape measuring tool maybe by just double clicking on it?

And once you pushed/pulled the hole through a solid how do you change the diameter of both top and bottom at the same time?

The scale tool does not allow that

When I do it I always have to do it on both red and green axes

Thank you

Gianni

Please ignore previous questions , I found out how

thanks

Good morning Dave

I did come right with the printing 1:1 thank you

Another question now

Is it possible to measure the diameter of a circumference e without using the tape measuring tool maybe by just double clicking on it?

And once you pushed/pulled the hole through a solid how do you change the diameter of both top and bottom at the same time?

The scale tool does not allow that

When I do it I always have to do it on both red and green axes

Thank you

Gianni

7601_2.jpg

image002.jpg

Screenshot - 2_24_2021 , 8_26_56 AM.png

Hello Dave

Another frustrating day!!!

I am now trying to build a jig to test electronic printed circuit boards

On the attached file the Solid inspector reports many errors which no matter what I do I cannot make right

The holes were drawn on the top surface to correspond with the attached printed circuit layout and pulled to the bottom surface

Where did I do wrong!!

I realise now that the Sketch up is more for architects and industrial designers rather than plastic enclosure

Unfortunately I invested on this package for a year

I appreciate Your help

Gianni Comoretto

image001.jpg

image001.jpg

image004.jpg

435A_04.skp (684 KB)

Is this supposed to be a solid rectangular block with holes?

If circuit diagram is supposed to be a 2d plan representation then solid inspector is irrelevant and will report errors because it’s not a solid…?

Gianni, the problems with your fixture mainly have to do with the holes not going through at the bottom. Solid Inspector is telling you that. If you click on one of the errors at a time, Solid Inspector2 highlights those problem areas. there are also reversed faces which would be a problem for 3D printing. They are shown in green, below.

I redrew your model with some steps to show you how I would go about it.

Start with a rectangle sized to the overall dimensions of the fixture. Draw only the features that go all the way through. In this case it’s just the holes. I deleted the faces inside the circles at this point. Actually, if you draw a circle on flat face and delete the face inside it, when you copy the hole you’ll get more holes.

Extrude the base to the thickness of the inner region of the fixture.

Add the edge to outline the raised area around the edge and pull that up to height.

Here’s the file so you can compare.
435A_04 solid.skp (711.0 KB)

Hi Paul

Yes it is a block with a recessed rectangular area in the centre

I use an imported .dxf 2d to lay on the surface of the model only to give me the

correct position of the holes to be inserted

I make sure that the 2d .dxf drawing rests right on top of the block to position the holes and then I remove it

So before I run the solid inspector I do remove the pcb layout or hide it

Thanks

Gianni

image001.jpg

image001.jpg

Thank you David

You’re a a star!!!

I was obviously starting the process back to front!!

Many thanks

Gianni

Thank you.

It’s not uncommon for people to to try to draw out the whole thing in 2D before making it 3D. That generally creates problems especially for 3D printing. It could help to think about the way the 3D printer will print the thing. In this case it will print the bottom face first leaving openings for the through holes. Then it will work up from there and add the detail as it goes.

1 Like

Hello Dave

I did draw in 3D but as I said I started from the frame and then started to put the PCB in

I did come right. Thank you

Another question now…

On that frame I have many holes for the test pins to go through

If in future I need larger pins and therefore larger diameter holes

How difficult would that be to do

Unfortunately I did not make the hole a component so that changing one would change them all

Thanks

Gianni

image001.jpg

The edges of the holes are still shown as circles so their radii could be edited in Entity Info. You’d have to do it one at a time, though. Since the rest is trivial to model, I would probably just copy the bottom face of the fixture, edit the hole radii and then extrude it to height again.

If you were thinking that you would need different versions of a thing you could make cylinder components to use as “drills” and use the Solid Tools or Eneroth Solid Tools to Subtract the drills from the block. The holes need to be modeled as holes through the part, though.

Good morning (at least here in Johannesburg SA)

Thanks, I guessed that.

Am looking for Eneroth Solid Tools on the web but cannot find it

I downloaded successfully Thom Thom extension for text editing

But it does not appear in the Extensions directory

Although it shows the recently added “ search and replace text” extension

Have a good weekend

Gianni

image001.jpg

image004.jpg

Ah… I found it under “DRAW”

thanks

image001.jpg

image004.jpg

It’s available in the Extension Warehouse.