Preferences File Locations

I’ve read some questions and answers on this, still can’t fix it. I imported the file locations from my old computer to new one with a SU 2017 install. They did not really work, most of them show as red, never figured out how to fix it. Now I’ve installed 2020 and it has pulled in the old 2017 file locations and they are still wrong/red. How can I tell SU to delete those paths and use it’s default locations? I’m not up for any registry edit level fixes.
Thanks.

Copying the locations from the old computer to the new one means that SketchUp on the new computer is trying to look at the locations on the old computer which it can’t access. Go into Preferences>Files and set the paths so they point to the right locations on the computer.

When you installed Sketchup 2020 did you right click on the downloaded installer and choose Run as administrator in the context menu? If not or if you don’t know. Do that before you try setting the paths. choose the Repair option when it is presented.

Please correct your profile while you’re here. It still shows you are using SU2017 on a Windows 7 machine.

Thanks for the response.
I don’t know where to set the paths to. User\appdata…??? It seems like I could make a mess in no time. As you suggested, I found the installer in my download folder, right clicked, ran it as administrator, chose ‘repair’, the repair runs, the progress bar moves along, it finishes after 10 or so seconds and says ‘complete’. When I then start SU, it has the same problem with the file locations.

How do I get SU to treat this as a new install and do what it usually does which is to set those paths automatically?

Thanks,

Michael.

Maybe you should reset them to their defaults. Components, Materials, and Styles will be in User\AppData\Roaming\SketchUp\SketchUp 2020\SketchUp…

You can use whatever local folders you want. My preference is to leave them in their default locations and put my assets in the folders it’s looking for.

1 Like

Yes! How do I do that?

I mean, is there a ‘reset’ button (or process) or do I have to go into each one and type it in?

Click on the pencil icon to the right of the path field and navigate to the desired folder.